Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Default Oil Filter

I suspect I tightened the oil filter too tight, though I swore I only put it on hand tight without a filter wrench. So now the thing won't budge and my efforts using a filter wrench have all but crushed the filter in the process.

I was thinking of doing the old trick where you pierce it with a long screwdriver. I suspect this will only serve to have the 'can opener' effect on the filter. Anyone have any good tricks for removing a stuck, crushed oil filter?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Screw driver AND the strap wrench if you have space. Two screw drivers, 45 or 90* apart if you have space. Two strap wrenches.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Commander

Default oil filter

I have used the screwdriver be ready for the oil mess it will work????
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Commander

A long time ago I had one that wouldn't come off. Ended up cutting the end off with a pair of tin snips and using a pair of vice grips to grab the exposed metal and a hammer to whack the vice grips. A couple of whacks and it loosened.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer2c View Post
A long time ago I had one that wouldn't come off. Ended up cutting the end off with a pair of tin snips and using a pair of vice grips to grab the exposed metal and a hammer to whack the vice grips. A couple of whacks and it loosened.
It's like you read my mind. I was thinking of doing the same. I know the thread on the filter is only a female on the very inside of the filter. I thought of doing just that, cutting it open, then trying to remove the threaded cylinder. I suspected it was going to be messy. I'll give it a try on Sat. and let you all know the results.

Many thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Admiral

is your filter attached to he engine or on a remote ....if it's on the engine..stick a can underneath to collect the oil....the use a ctr punch to punch a hole in the bottom to drain the oil...(its gonna get messy but this will allow it to be less messy)...once it's drained ...the you can use the screwdriver trick...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

It is a remote oil filter. In Mercruiser's infinite wisdom they decided to mount it upside down. Teh good news is punching a hole in the bottom is really punching a hole in the 'top'. I do that anyway to vent the oil and allow the filter to drain when I'm draining the oil so that part is already done. So I'll be heading down this weekend with a few long screw drivers and some tin snips and a bunch of oil absorbant sheets and a little bilge cleaner. I'm sure it will work fine. I'll give an update on Mon.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Captain

yo shrew.....

when you put on a new one, just put a tiny little bit of oil on the rubber gasket of the filter........you wo'nt have this problem anymore in your life.......at my 2855 i had the same problem as you have now......and i could'nt get a can under the filter as puppy suggested, so you can quess how the bilge looked after i had the filter of..........

greatz and succes, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #9

Ed,

I take the rubber ring out of the filter and dip my finger into the little puddle of oil that is still sitting in the cup of the remote oil filter base (remember the oil filiter is upside down on mine). I then put a thin coat on the entire rubber gasket and put it back on the filter, then install the filter. I try to only tighten it with my hand. I don't recall, but would bet that I had oily hands the last time I replaced it and probably used the filter wrench a little bit. I honestly don't recall, but it certainly sounds like something I'd be stupid enough to do. Obviously if that was the case it was a little bit more than a little. ARGG!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #10

A long screwdriver did the job. I had very limited clearance, so I could only make a quarter turn. Then I had to make a new set of holes. Unltimately, I made a set of holes at 12 & 6 oclock, and another set at 9 & 3 oclock. Then turned the filter 1/4 turn and used the new set of holes, turned another 1/4 turn and repeated until I could remove the filter by hand.

Thanks for the advise guys. It was greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
Captain

good yob......

greatz....ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote