Old 08-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New Member 94' 2000 SC

Hello from the Ohio River valley. I was given a 94' 2000 SC a few years back. On the maiden test voyage she spun 2 rod bearings. This prompted me to pull the motor. I was originally going to build a v8 for it and the for some reason decided to build the 4.3...what a mistake lol. After LOTS of $ i put together one of the most unique naturally aspirated 4.3 setups to grace the waters lol. Machinist and I estimate it probably makes 320hp. I put the specs of everything below.

The boat had sat with water in it for a time so there is some damage i have to take care of. On top of a 2730 lb dry weight I am probably carrying 200+ lbs of water weight from water logged foam alone. Despite all of that, a full tank of fuel (30-36 gal), 200lbs of tools/parts, with 400lbs of people on board she ran 53 mph GPS trimmed out at 5350 RPM.

Engine specs:
-Balance shaft block .030" over
-Proper quench distance/area attained by: a.)block deck .005" piston in hole b.) .040" Cometic gaskets c.) KB 12cc dished pistons (quench area matches Vortec chamber)
-ARP fasteners on rods/mains/heads
-Vortec heads with stainless valves (2.02" intake and stock sized exhaust), appropriate radius and valve job, milled to ~61cc, port matched to intake manifold, static compression ratio is ~9.8:1
-Comp beehive 918 springs and appropriate retainers (heads machined for them and over .500" lift cam)
-ARP 3/8" threaded rocker studs (my heads had the M10 sized threaded holes)
-Erson Hydro roller grind: ADV Duration = IN 282*/EX 286*; Duration @.050" 214*/218* Lift .480"/.510" Lobe Center 112* w/4*adv.
-Comp 1617-12 Ultra Pro Magnum 1.52 roller rockers (self aligning)
-Polished tall aluminum valve covers to clear the rockers
-.080" wall pushrods
-Melling stock pressure/volume oil pump and pickup
-light weight Coyles timing set
-Performer 2114 intake
-Edelbrock 1409 carb (endedu up needing .0950" secondary/.0970" primary jets, .065x.057 metering rods/pink springs, .043" pump nozzle) and heat soak preventive gasket
-K&N flame arrestor
-Dual oil catch can
-Thunderbolt IV with new cap/rotor and Moore Performance E-core coil and plug wires (I run 10* base timing, 24-25* total)
-Mercury Remote oil filter kit custom mounted (because it makes life easier lol)

Exhaust:
-Marine Power high flow exhaust manifolds with 3" riser spacers to provide some addition distance to combat possible reversion
-newer style Merc y pipe with better flappers and longer pipe elbows (cobra headed looking type) for the 3" riser spacers
-exhaust tube vs bellows

Cooling:
-I wanted a full closed cooling system with the new motor and $$$$ manifolds/risers. I was able to get a Monitor Performance full system to fit with the manifolds, risers and the goofy positioning of the thermostat location on the Edelbrock intake.
-Johnson 10-24805-01 (F6B-9) crank mounted sea water pump
-Indmar inline sea strainer
-Removed water pump impeller blades in lower unit and modified the pickup holes so I pickup raw water via the Alpha 1 but the Johnson pumps it.

Outdrive:
Boat had an Alpha 1 Gen 2 originally but it was damaged and a 1.8x gen 1 ended up on it. That is why I cut the pump impeller blades off and used a crank mounted pump.
-Prop is a turning point 14" Hustler 4 blade 21P
Attached Thumbnails
built 4.3.jpg  

kpforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Admiral

You lost me with "1.8x gen 1", what is this?

Did you add a thru hull pick up for the cooling or is it still through the drive?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
You lost me with "1.8x gen 1", what is this?

Did you add a thru hull pick up for the cooling or is it still through the drive?
It is a Alpha 1 gen 1 drive with a 1.8x ratio (i don't know the 2nd number of the ratio and I don't have a serial # on the drive lol).

I wanted to try picking up water through the drive without the drive pump impeller. I had never see anyone do this with an Alpha of any generation but I did not want to drill through the hull or transom unless I absolutely needed to. So far it working. If i am doing an extended WOT pull (more than 3 minutes) engine coolant reaches 200*. Normal cruising and 95% of the usage this setup will work fine.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
Captain

Great work and congratulations on finishing that project. I hope you screamed, "it's alive!, it's alive!" when you started it the first time.
A few questions because I'm very interested in your setup:
You don't mention pistons and bearings, did you use the originals? I ask because 5300 rpm may stretch them. What engine oil and gear lube are you running?
Are you happy with you prop and outdrive combo? You're well short of what your top end speed could be, but I bet your hole shots are impressive. I doubt a skier could hang on to the rope if you gunned the engine on launch.
That exhaust tube must sound nice. There will be no doubt when you are on plane. Great work and thanks for sharing info on your build.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpforce1 View Post
It is a Alpha 1 gen 1 drive with a 1.8x ratio (i don't know the 2nd number of the ratio and I don't have a serial # on the drive lol).

I wanted to try picking up water through the drive without the drive pump impeller. I had never see anyone do this with an Alpha of any generation but I did not want to drill through the hull or transom unless I absolutely needed to. So far it working. If i am doing an extended WOT pull (more than 3 minutes) engine coolant reaches 200*. Normal cruising and 95% of the usage this setup will work fine.
So you’re putting 320HP through a Alpha Gen 1, wow I’d be concerned about it’s durability. That’s more power than it’s designed for. The Gen 2 is rated for 300HP max.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
Great work and congratulations on finishing that project. I hope you screamed, "it's alive!, it's alive!" when you started it the first time.
A few questions because I'm very interested in your setup:
You don't mention pistons and bearings, did you use the originals? I ask because 5300 rpm may stretch them. What engine oil and gear lube are you running?
Are you happy with you prop and outdrive combo? You're well short of what your top end speed could be, but I bet your hole shots are impressive. I doubt a skier could hang on to the rope if you gunned the engine on launch.
That exhaust tube must sound nice. There will be no doubt when you are on plane. Great work and thanks for sharing info on your build.
I did scream "Its alive!" Lol. I mention pistons, they are Keith Black -12cc D dish pistons to mirror the vortec head chamber. Bearings are Clevite bearings appropriate for this application. I'm running ARP bolts and studs in the heads, rods and mains. I am not worried about WOT blasts 5k RPM and I have run it out to 6k with a 21P High Five prop lol. Not worried about it with my motor being setup for it.

I started out with a break in oil, switched to Lucas Hot Rod & Classic 10-40 because it was similar to a marine oil and now I have Quicksilver 25-40 with some Lucas stabilizer. I am running standard Quicksilver SAE 90 gear lube.

The 21P Hustler prop and 1.8 drive do well and is going to be the regular all around prop for me. I will probably pick up a 25P High Five for giggles and a decent 23P 3 blade.

It sounds good for a 4.3 lol. I think I could hit 60 MPH with the right prop and some weight loss.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
So you’re putting 320HP through a Alpha Gen 1, wow I’d be concerned about it’s durability. That’s more power than it’s designed for. The Gen 2 is rated for 300HP max.
Plenty of guys in bigger boats with much more torque make them live. I am not worried about it. I will add a drive shower soon as a precaution as heat is what kills them.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 AM   #8

Welcome aboard.
Nice job you have down with that setup. Enjoy it.
We would like to know the top speed you will get with that baby.
Posted here.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Captain

A 25P will give you 70mph. That may be giggles for you, but I haven't been able to check WOT because I get nervous going past 40mph. We've got flat seas here in OBX sound this week and I plan to test WOT (that is if I get my new carburetor before weather changes).
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
A 25P will give you 70mph. That may be giggles for you, but I haven't been able to check WOT because I get nervous going past 40mph. We've got flat seas here in OBX sound this week and I plan to test WOT (that is if I get my new carburetor before weather changes).
Oh I don't have enough power to reach 70. I would need an alpha SS drive, perfect prop, waxed hull, all excess weight removed and probably another 80-120 hp. In this hull I would be content with touching 60 mph.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #11

Moved from "Welcome Mat | New Member Introductions" to "Engines"

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote