Old 06-28-2021, 03:16 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Mpi engine issue

Hi I've got a 4.3l mpi that might run a little rough at idle but is responsive to throttle and runs smooth through the rpms for the majority of the day out on the lake. The issue starts after some start/stop of pulling kids around the lake. The boat starts to occasionally shift out of neutral and sputter and hesitate as if is over fueling. If I return to neutral it recovers and I can try again(maybe multiple times) until it takes off like nothing ever happened. Then all is good until one of my kids falls off the tube and it's a lottery of whether or not that issue will occur again.
Winterizing last year included changing the fuel filter and plugs. I also adjusted the shift cables to spec. Not sure what else to look at.
Has anyone had experience with this or have any ideas I can look into?
Thanks!

tgillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Admiral

Not sure what you mean by the boat shifts out of neutral, is the boat doing this by itself or are you shifting from neutral to forward? If the latter are you sure you adjusted the shift cable and it’s working properly as it sounds like the shift interrupt switch may be kicking in but it’s only supposed to do so when shifting from a gear to neutral.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Ensign

It's when I shift from neutral into gear and it's an intermittent problem. I followed an iboats procedure to adjust the cables and all of the measurements were within spec. As far as I can tell it's working correctly.
tgillson is offline   Reply With Quote