Old 05-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Mercruiser EMC555

Hi everyone,
i enjoy a lot with my 2400SR3 with a Mercruiser 5.0MPI (260hp) Bravo.
The original ECM fails when sending the signal to a pair of injectors, and seems it is physical failure in the hardware inside of the module.

I also have a second one, coming from a 6.2 that is functional but not smoothly, obviously as it is programmed to manage a different engine.

I would need either a technical service that can repair the microchip in the first one, or copying the firmware (or installing fresh one) in the second with the 5.0 firmware.

Does anybody know where I can go to get advice?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Marco.

mblancoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

This guy has a good reputation on other forums. https://www.boatunlimited.com

golfwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
Lieutenant

I have the same ECM on my 2008 re powered 350 Horizon engine Have not had any problem. Best for you to contact Mercruiser for free advice at their customer service number...920-929-5040.
Calguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Ensign

Unfortunately Mercruiser response is to replace ECM, no repair... which is the most expensive approach (around $2k)

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
Admiral

The cost to unpot the module, troubleshoot it and repair will cost more than a new one. Also if it’s a Mercruiser propriety component that’s bad you won’t be able to buy it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Ensign

Thank you for your reply Mike.
Just for your information ECM555 module is a bulk unit that brand new is around 280 pounds from different manufacturers in the UK, and is the same hardware for dozens of different engines, and not only Mercruiser.
The difference in cost that Mercruiser charges for a ECM is the software/firmware installed in the unit to manage one specific engine... in my case 5.0MPI bravo2.
Installing the firmware is a super simple process that specialized workshops can do for 50€, but the firmware is not generally available.
I could buy a brand new ECM, but I am looking for a way to avoid paying 1500€, ( on top of the 280 pounds of the hardware) for a software/firmware I already own, because I bought it the first time I payed the engine.
Cheers.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
Ensign

thnx... i contacted already.
Cheers.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblancoc View Post
Thank you for your reply Mike.
Just for your information ECM555 module is a bulk unit that brand new is around 280 pounds from different manufacturers in the UK, and is the same hardware for dozens of different engines, and not only Mercruiser.
The difference in cost that Mercruiser charges for a ECM is the software/firmware installed in the unit to manage one specific engine... in my case 5.0MPI bravo2.
Installing the firmware is a super simple process that specialized workshops can do for 50€, but the firmware is not generally available.
I could buy a brand new ECM, but I am looking for a way to avoid paying 1500€, ( on top of the 280 pounds of the hardware) for a software/firmware I already own, because I bought it the first time I payed the engine.
Cheers.
I was addressing your inquiry on repairing yours. Not about reprogramming the second one.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote