Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Mercruiser 3.0 Idle

I have one of those "I'm new to boating" questions. My Maxum 1800 throttle lever has a N position. If I depress the "throttle only" button and move the throttle lever forward, there is a detent about 20 deg fore of the N position. Is that the "Start" position? If I am setting my idle, do I set it at the N position or the "Start Position"? Thanks for any help, and sorry about all of the quotes.

rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Admiral

well....that's an interesting question actually....when you push the disengagement button in on the throttle quadrant....all your doing is advancing the throttle out of gear...you can by all means start at that point....but remember your not in gear...so...that' first detent is to confirm your out of gear...or zero throttle....the reason is if you were to pull the throttle back to the zero position...you'd bounce back into where the drive shifter is active...so..pushing the button and putting it fwd to the detent keeps you out of gear...now you can advance the throttle without going into gear.....

it's basically the same if you put the throttle into gear..there is a detent there where your in gear and still in idle...once you advance the throttle your moving....bring it back to the detent..your still in gear..but your at idle...now pull further and it snicks out of gear and into neutral....

it's basically a frame of reference for you either in gear or out..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote