Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Maxum 3500 # 2 Bilge has to run all the time?

Hello, Is it normal to have to run the # 2 Bilge all the time while the engines are running. When the engines are off, there is nothing pumping out of the # 2 bilge, but when the engines are running and I turn the # 2 bilge switch on there is a steady flow of salt water coming out of the # 2 bilge through hull. Please someone tell me if this sounds right? I'm afraid that one day I will forget to turn it on and my boat will be at the bottom of the canal.

Thanks

grant23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Ensign

Do you have to run your # 2 bilge all the time while your engines are on? Mine fills with sea water while the engines are running.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Commander

That is not normal at all. You have a leak somewhere that needs fixing. Since it only happens while running, it sounds like it could be water pump or exhuast. Both have water flowing through if it is raw water cooled (as opposed to a closed cooling system that uses antifreeze). A friend of mine had this happen to him last year and it turned out being just the blue plastic drain plug on the bottom of the exhaust elbow. There is one on each manifold on the bottom, check there first. You could always start it and look for where water is coming from, should see it dripping from somewhere on the motor.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Ensign

It is a closed cooling system. I will look for the drain plug. Thank you
Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Lt. JG

You better check your hoses to see if any of them are loose or leaking. Look around your engine while it is running to see where the water is coming from. You should not be getting any water in the bilge when the engines are running. I keep my boat in the water and at most I might get a pint of water in the bilge all season.
Ken Kwasniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant23 View Post
Do you have to run your # 2 bilge all the time while your engines are on? Mine fills with sea water while the engines are running.
Find that leak, it's a problem, check your drive coupler hose as well, they are made of plastic, mine cracked last year and I nearly sunk her, replaced mine with brass fittings, search thread "sinking- not on my watch"
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Ensign

It was the Hot Water Heater. The previous owner plugged the line with Crazy Glue and it must have blown. Quick fix! Thanks for your input.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

Nice catch, thanks for reporting out, so we know what the problem and solution is. A good rule of thumb:

Safety equipment such as bilge pumps, fire extinguishers, flares and life preservers, are those items that you need, they should always work when you need them, and you should never have to USE them.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #9

I found a hijack in another persons thread which was a duplicate to this one. I merged the posts from that thread into this one, so it looks a little wonky.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote