Old 05-22-2022, 10:06 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Low Oil Pressure situation

Hello,

2 years ago after running my 1995 SR 2000 wide open for about 20 minutes, i slowed down to dead slow in gear and the oil pressure alarm started to go off. I checked the gauge at it was reading 20 psi. After 5 minutes the oil pressure came back up on about 32 psi and the alarm stopped.

I changed the oil, changed the plugs, and nothing changed. If I increase the rpms to 1100 the oil pressure alarm will stop.

Cold start PSI is around 75. While running it flat out I can watch it drop to about 45 psi after 5 minutes and then it will stay there until i bring it back down to idle where the alarm will go off again. The oil pressure always comes back after about five minutes.

The cooling system is functioning properly, the engine is not overheating. There are no weird noises and it pulls great.

Has anyone ever had this before? Should I just disconnect the alarm? Should I put in a thicker engine oil?

Thanks for any help,

Paul

1995 Maxum SR 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:02 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

First problem is these engines are not designed to operate at full throttle for more than a few minutes. Running longer will damage the engine as you found out. Remember these are basically car engines modified to be cooled by salt water not high performance.

Answer you should not operate over 4000 rpm.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low oil pressure