Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Kicker size for 1992 2300 SCR

Hello all. New member here and new to the Maxum boating experience.

I will try to give as much info as possible. I want to install a kicker on my 1992 2300 for trolling and emergency. I live on Vancouver island, British Columbia, Canada and will be ocean trolling for salmon and also just general ocean cruising. I am considering a new yamaha high thrust 9.9. So far I have found that in all my talks with local dealers and online research, it's about a 60%/40% split on whether a 9.9 is powerful enough. 60% saying that it will be adequate. What 's everybody else running for kicker size? I would really like to hear some real world experience. Should I be looking at a 15 or 20 hp. Will that be too heavy for swim grid mounting?

Thank you for all your responses and happy and safe boating to all.

Ryan

inspektor32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Commander

I will be doing the same thing on my 2400scr but I will use a 15hp because of wind and tide a 9.9 wont handle it so I have been told.I would rather have a little more HP to get to safety .I live in bc too and you know what wind will do .good luck

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Welcome aboard inspektor32!!!

I've heard it has been done, and interestingly, more frequently up in your neck of the woods, though overall, this is not a 'Common' add on.

Can it be done, yes. Though I think 9.9 is a bit on the small side. Other considerations; I'm always conerned with is whether it can be tied in the existing steering with a remote throttle. Hanging out on the swim platform with a tiller steer is not ideal from a safety persective and I would think gives you limited ability to properly see 360 while underway.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote