Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Hello all newbie here

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 1996 Maxum 2300 SR with the 350. I was told it needed bellows so that's what I'm in the process of doing now. I bought this kit from Quicksilver and will be replacing everything in the kit. I'm about to install the new gimbal bearing. I also took the bell housing off. I have what looks to be a ton of slop at the top and bottom pivots on the gimbal ring. The slop is up/down and left/right. I know that I can tighten up the top two stainless bolts(which I have a bit already). I'm afraid that tightening it too much will crack/damage the gimbal ring. I have a video of the slop but can't figure out how to post a video. Anyone know what the torque on these bolts should be? Can I shim it if torquing them doesn't take up the slop?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200604-114959_Samsung Internet.jpg  

Immisterfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
Ensign

Default Manual

I recently purchased a 1998 Maxum 2300SC we love the boat and would like to purchase a owners manual for it.

jimmiejam583

jimmiejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Admiral

If the gimbal ring has that much slop the swivel shaft and bushing need to be replaced. This is a common issue on older I/Os especially if they are kept in the water.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

mmwjr is correct. Torquing the 2 nuts you speak of is tightening a u-bolt that squeezes the gimbal ring onto the swivel shaft. The torque on those should be 55 ft lbs. Unfortunately chances are it's not that simple. Over the winter I had to replace mine. To access the swivel shaft nut I bought the Transom cut out kit from CP Performance. Good luck with your repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sph801 is offline   Reply With Quote