Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to redleg1127
Default General Information for 1991 120HP Force Outboard

Hello to all,

I am the new owner of a 1991 MAXUM 2100XC. It was intriguing that it has both a cuddy cabin and an outboard engine. Those two options always seemed mutually exclusive to me.

More to the point it came with a 1991 120 HP Force outboard engine with US Marine badging. It runs, not well, but it runs. I had to store it for the winter as I am in the military and bought it while I was home on leave. So here I set in Africa trying to find information about this motor on the internet and I am so confused I am not sure if anyone knows anything about these motors. It seems like I managed to purchase the least popular outboard ever produced. I found this forum in my quest for knowledge and I hope that this community can steer me in the right direction.

The Force brand name seems to have been manufactured by either Chrysler, US Marine or Mercury. It makes finding parts difficult. What is more confusing is that I can't seem to find the serial number on the thing to determine exactly what it is.

I am looking for two things in general at this point, information on the ignition system ( I believe it is a Prestolite, but I have no way to determine that), and information on rebuilding the trim cylinders as they seem to be obsolete and New Old Stock is unavailable. Any other information on tuning and maintenance would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Grant Watson

redleg1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Admiral

Grant
welcome to the zoo....if you can find the number on the id tag it would help a ton..but since your in Africa..(a place not on my bucket list).....there is only probably some general info...what I can do for you is hopefully tomorrow..call my shop guy who 9 times out of ten..can find info on your engine ...give me a few days cuz He might be busy with winterizing jobs.......

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to redleg1127

Seapuppy,
That sounds great I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for the forum, I am having a lot of fun going through these threads and learning more about MAXUM boats.

Grant
redleg1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Admiral

I'm trying to get spec's for your drive...as soon as I get them..I'll fwd them too you....yours has prestolite ignition system...according to the tech...nothing to do....just replace the plugs and go...but I'll make sure for you.....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Ensign

I have a 1991 Maxum 2100xc as well. The force motor on mine ran for a while for the guy that owned it before me. However now 3 out of the four cylinders respond with no compression.. The trim also doesn't work due to the guy before me getting fear ended by a little honda.. Does the motor sound salvageable? And what would I have to do to fix it? I know I'll have to get a new trim unit. Any good brands or can someone set me in the right direction?
Bg6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

3 of 4 have no compression?

Nearly anything can be repaired but at some point the cost of the repairs will exceed the value of the engine once it has been repaired. In the case of a 1991 OB with 3 dead cylinders I'd guess you're looking at a complete rebuild of the power head. Then you have the possibility that something got broken from the impact with the Honda, rendering the trim inoperative.

You might be time and money ahead by finding a used and running OB to replace the existing.

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote