Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2016, 03:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Gas Smell

Hi,
I have a 1999 1800SR with the 3.0 Mercruser. The boat has both bow and stern covers and when I uncover the boat there is a very strong smell of gas. I have checked and cannot find a leak anywhere. I have read elsewhere that this is normal as it has a plastic tank and it permeates the gas. I am just wanting to make sure that this is the case and I am not missing something.
Thank for your help and advice.

Bcasmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Admiral

I would not think this is normal. When inspecting the fuel lines did you look for cracks in them? You do not need to see fuel leaking for fumes to penetrate bad lines.

Also leaking fuel pump, gas in the bilge,...

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

When not in use I keep mine covered with a full cover - think "car" cover, and never smell gas when I remove it. My 2004 also has a plastic (poly) tank.

A faint, barely noticeable scent - maybe, especially with a carb'd engine. But a "strong" gas smell isn't normal.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
Admiral

Check your vent line to make sure it is not loose or disconnected and that it is routed to vent out side the hull.

Not sure where you are located but I can smell gas when I walk past the vent when it gets real hot outside. The gas in the tank expands and needs to vent.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
Ensign

Thank you all, I will really go over the hoses and connections again. I might just replace them to be safe. I live in Canada but it gets quite hot here in the summer.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

I think its been covered, but I'm going to add to this anyway. At NO point should you be smelling gas fumes in or around your boat, short of spilling gas while refueling.

First and foremost, stop using the boat until you can locate, fix and verify the fix first. Below deck gas tanks are NOT PERMEABLE. Portable gas tanks vent directly from tank which is why portable style gas tanks are not designed to be used below deck. Below deck gas tanks vent through a line to the through hull overboard. Unless you boat cover is also covering the gas tank vent, this should not be occurring.

Finally, Stop taking advice from whomever you're talking to. They don't know of which they speak.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
Ensign

Today I went and really looked at all the hoses and connections again. I found the filler hose to have cracks on it just above the tank. There seemed to be a smell of gas around this area. The bilge was dry but had a strong smell of gas. I replaced the filler hose ( What a pain) and cleaned out the bilge with a good degreaser and left the boat open to air out. There seems to be a noticeable difference rite away so hope all is good. I will post a follow up in a few days. Thanks for all the advice!!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
Admiral

When I bought my 2400 in 2008 the fill hose had cracks as well, no gas smell but I replaced it. $10 per foot and 10 feet.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 AM   #9
Ensign

Yea, 11.50 per ft and 5.5 ft so not as bad :-)