Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default frustrating 4.3 issue

Got the1998 1900 Sr boat set from winter hibernation (four previous summers no issues whatsoever) and it started right up with mufflers. Once on the lake it started rough (took some starting fluid down the carb) we made it an hour or so and shut it down to get ready to ski. On attempt to restart, it cranked, but never could get it to turn over. Had used the rest of the starting fluid (half can) and it would seem to be ready to turn over completely, but never did. Towed to ramp and pulled it out. I finally got to it this weekend and with a new battery, same result when trying to start on hose - same thing. I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor (seemed worn, but not drastic) Still not turning over. I dumped some gas down the carb and it fired up and ran for 5 mins perfect, and then just shut off - no sputter, smoke or warning. Dumped more gas after sitting for a bit and it ran for 10 mins before died. Should I be checking elec fuel pump for voltage next and whats best test for that? or other first? Thanks

roblga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #2
Admiral

Did it really run for 10 minutes after dumping gas down the carb or only 1-2 minutes?

When cranking the fuel pump gets power from the starter soleniod and once started the oil pressure switch. Sounds like neither are working.

Disconnect the connector from the fuel pump and see if it has 12V when the key is in the start position. Next locate the oil pressure switch on the port side of the engine just above the oil filter mount on the engine block. Remove both wire and connect them with a jumper. Reconnect the fuel pump and see if it will start.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:20 AM   #3
Lt. JG

One time it did..but mostly only ran a minute or mere seconds. Thanks mike - been super hot here in CO and need to back on the water. I will try those after the weekend and report back.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Fuel pump was culprit - tough to find any parts here locally - all sold out. Repair shops are 12 weeks in que. I bought it online along with a screw on filter, and an oil sensor kit (864252A01). Once I got it started, I looked at the OS but didn't replace it - it doesn't look the same as whats on board? I can return it since I didn't open it.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Admiral

Glad you resolved the issue and thanks for posting your findings.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote