Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Engine turns over but not starting

Had the 2400scr year 2000 a few weeks always starts on the button went out today for hour moored up then it wouldn’t start turns over fine . Put 5 gallons of fuel in as I have noticed the fuel gage moving about so thought it could be empty but no luck ! Any help with this would be great I have no engine manuals so if any links would be appricated

Peter1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
Captain

Peter, you should download manual #24 from the documents section. See page 1C-8 discussion on "Engine Cranks but will not start, or, starts hard". Let us know what questions you have. You problem has many potential causes and any advice at this point is pure guess. The chart on "Troubleshooting Thunderbolt V Ignition" on page 1C-9 is a great place to start.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
Peter, you should download manual #24 from the documents section. See page 1C-8 discussion on "Engine Cranks but will not start, or, starts hard". Let us know what questions you have. You problem has many potential causes and any advice at this point is pure guess. The chart on "Troubleshooting Thunderbolt V Ignition" on page 1C-9 is a great place to start.
Thanks will have a look
Old 06-14-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
Admiral

Did you check to verify the run/stop switch on the throttle control is in the run position? If yes then you need to see if it’s not getting spark versus no fuel.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Ensign

Been told possibly the fuel pump has anyone go a pats list for this ??
Old 06-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1964 View Post
Been told possibly the fuel pump has anyone go a pats list for this ??
You 2000 will have an electric fuel pump. I would first verify it’s getting 12V before replacing it blindly. When starting power comes from the starter soleniod and once started there is an oil pressure switch that provides power. Does it start then die or never start? If start then die the oil pressure switch is bad. If never start it is either the starter solenoid or the pump.

If you spray some starting fluid in the carb will it run for a few seconds?

Mike
Old 06-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
You 2000 will have an electric fuel pump. I would first verify it’s getting 12V before replacing it blindly. When starting power comes from the starter soleniod and once started there is an oil pressure switch that provides power. Does it start then die or never start? If start then die the oil pressure switch is bad. If never start it is either the starter solenoid or the pump.

If you spray some starting fluid in the carb will it run for a few seconds?
It does not start there is fuel to the pump but not coming through just need part number if poss as there are a few available can’t find engine number . I have been told the pumps are quite expensive but I think I can get a pattern part am I correct..
Old 06-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1964 View Post
It does not start there is fuel to the pump but not coming through just need part number if poss as there are a few available can’t find engine number . I have been told the pumps are quite expensive but I think I can get a pattern part am I correct..
Again first verify there is power to the pump.

You’ll either need the engine serial number or part number off the existing pump to get an OEM replacement. Being a carburetor engine you could use any marine rated pump that provides 6-7 psi.

Mike