Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Engine Removal 2400SCR

So after a nice day out on the water and eating some lunch I get back to my boat start her up and the oil pressure is sitting at 0 and the alarm is buzzing away. Open up the hatch and 5 quarts of oil are staring me in the face. After a tow back to the marina my mecahnic finds a hole in the oil pan. Needless to say the engine needs to be pulled and I was wondering if anyone has experience in pulling the engine in a 2400 and how long it takes. Also any suggestions on what I should check while the engine is out would be great.

jlanza14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Commander

Default engine removal

you should have a service manual and you will need some special tools . I have helped on a few re&re engine you will need to be able to lift over engine the stern . It is a good time to check and change seals and gimbal bearing after you pull the leg .Its not to hard to do but we had a fork lift less than 4 hours to remove.You will have to align the engine after. You need a manual to follow the right steps if you have never done it before .I have a 2400 to google youtube there are some videos. good luck

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Admiral

what canuk said!!..sorry to hear about the hole in the pan..but !!!..it's really important that you keep the bilge as dry as possible...water causes rust...rust eats metal...but you probably know that......

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Hi Jlanza14
You may not have damaged anything, most of the oil probably leaked out while you were gust sitting around having lunch hence the alarm and 0 pressures when you went to go and not while you were cruising

Have you thought of just rasing the engine so as you can remove the sump and replace it?
It may be a soft option as appose to a fall pull out and rebuild unless that is what you won’t to do

Ether way you will still need to remove the leg ,raw water hose, all of the battery cables engine wiring plug and some other cables ,fuel line (don’t forget to plug it off both ends when you disconnect it), and anything else that will prevent it from coming up
When I pulled my engines I left the mounts on the block and marked around where they sat no the mounting plate, they were returned to the exact same spot. I also found that the 2 x mounting bolts at the back had to be absolutely lined up or the bolts won’t go in, once these bolts were in the front mounts actually lined up with the marks I put on the mounting plates

Cunuck is right -- It is a good time to check and change seals and gimbal bearing after you pull the leg but you will need a puller to get the gimbal out and a pressing tool to replace it (I made atachments for my pullers/ bearing press ) anyway best of luck witch ever way you go
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Commander

I just pulled mine let me know if you need any info my 5.7 2002 2400 scr .I made a stand for my bravo 3 leg it is heavy hard to move around.
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote