Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
Commander

Default Doh!!!!!

So today I decided to take advantage of the Seattle boat 50% off service deal and haul my 2001 2500 Scr for a drive service and have the gimble and bellows inspected and get the bottom painted. For some time now I have been getting a small amount of water in the bilge after running about, never while washing or from rain. The amount has been so small I usually sop it up or shop vac it out if I let it go for a while. This has been going on since I got the boat 3 years ago. I have had the engine replaced 2 years ago and this was happening before AND after the engine was replaced.

Well good news. The bottom paint was done in 2005 and is in great condition so I dont need to have that done. The drive is showing considerable corrosion after having it sanded and painted 2 years ago so I will get that along with the drive service done.

Now the BAD news. Shortly after I bid forwell to the ol' boat and got home, I got a call from the service department. While draining the engine, they discovered where the water was coming from...... (insert the F BOMB here). 6 to 8 inch crack in my port side manifold.

Crap crap crap!!!!! I am only hoping that is the extent of the damage. (insert several more F-bombs here)

Soooo I didnt respond the the "what did santa get you" because I, well, didnt need anything. So all of you that got fancy radios, underwater lights, radars, musical horns, and whatever the heck else makes you smile....... I am getting a new manifold, sanded and painted drive, drive service, a big ass kick to my bank account and I am sure there will be more once they rip it apart.

DOH!!!!!

Scotch........ going to get my 3rd glass now and hopefully pass out to have sweet dreams of winning the lottery tomorrow.

Cheers!

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Captain

hai green.....when you think you have everything under control and it's going smoothly..........something is coming to get you.......and you see it has graped you in the ass............but your not alone in this....

so succes with lifting up your bank account with enough dollars for some fuel coming season...

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Admiral

sorry to hear about that rich.....but lets hope that's all that is cracked.....I'm assuming your fresh water cooled ..full system....so...I'm surprised that the manifold cracked.....

at least you dodged the bullet on the hull paint...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Sorry to hear that, man. I hope I can offer some sort of solace in saying, I truly know how it goes. At least everything will be set for the coming season, eh?

Remember. B.O.A.T.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Commander

It gets worse..... drive removed for inspection......water damage and oil leakage.....bellows in need of replacing......gimble bearing needs replaced......a few other things as well but I think my brain turned off and dont recall what other parts have to be replaced due to the infiltraion of water in the drive.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Admiral

ouch...that's gonna leave a mark.......well..the good news is it's fairly easy to have them replace it...cost isn't all that bad...the labor is what kills you....make sure they pressure test the drives....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

TRy to look at it this way. Once it's done, it's one less thing to worry about for a while.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Lt. JG

WOW I feel a little better, I thought I was the only one that was rebuilding a boat this winter. I wish you all the luck I didn't have.
bka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
Commander

Thanks, but my luck ran out. What began as a drive service has turned into a replace/rebuild everything aft the engine. Literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bka56 View Post
WOW I feel a little better, I thought I was the only one that was rebuilding a boat this winter. I wish you all the luck I didn't have.