Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Diesel fuel

I purchased my 2000 Maxum in October 2020. The tanks were about 3/4 full. My port side is using more fuel so it’s down to 1/4 but starboard is 1/2. I am wondering if there is a way to check to see if there is any concerns for algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Under normal circumstances, I would expect little in the way of direct microbiological activity in finished fuels, such as diesel or gasoline. What is more likely is the presence of a water layer on the bottom of a fuel storage tank that will provide a favorable environment for bacteria, especially anaerobic microbes such as sulfur reducing bacteria (SRB's). These organisms thrive in the fuel-water interface layer and can produce suspended solids/gums/sludge and acidic conditions in the water layer.

The best course of action is to physically remove free water layer if possible. This may require decanting out the fuel to a temporary tank, which will provide an opportunity for cleaning the tank as well. You may have to consider the periodic use of an approved fuel microbiocide additive on a regular basis to keep the problem under control either as an alterative to the tank work or as a post-tank preventative maintenance measure.

Good Luck.
Patrick Bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote