Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default chipping ???

perhaps a stupid question but somebody once said ...............
i have the 4,3 l V6 vortec engine in my boat
it's a 2400SCR
it could use some extra power/torque
is there something like a chip to give me more power or is this a to simple thought.
rens

rens914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Admiral

there is probably a performance chip someplace...but that would probably be geared more for a car engine...
the best addition for hp...is cubic inches....in other words....bigger engine....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Admiral

www.i-5automotive.com

Try this place........all sorts of stuff to buy!

vroom vroom!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

If it's a "getting on plane" problem, you may want to purchase one of those StingRay Hydrofoil fins that attach to the outdrive. I put one on my 2900 SCR (single engine 6.2L with a Bravo III outdrive) and noticed a difference with her getting on plane. Downside is I suspect it might have something with the Gimbal Ring and Pin failing this season though... too much torque on the outdrive I suspect. West Marine has one, look here; http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10453.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeans View Post
If it's a "getting on plane" problem, you may want to purchase one of those StingRay Hydrofoil fins that attach to the outdrive. I put one on my 2900 SCR (single engine 6.2L with a Bravo III outdrive) and noticed a difference with her getting on plane. Downside is I suspect it might have something with the Gimbal Ring and Pin failing this season though... too much torque on the outdrive I suspect. West Marine has one, look here; http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10453.
Two things:

1) I would discourage using a hydofoil of any kind. The boat hull is where lift occurs when the boat gets on plane, the drive is what pushed the boat. A hydofoil adds lift to the drive to assist in planing by raising the stern up as the boat 'squats' when you get on teh throttle. This is a lot of weight and force to place on the drive, and assmebly. These parts were not really designed for that much upward force.

What is the real problem you're trying to overcome? slow to get on plane, tough pulling a skier? Faster top end speed?

2) You're 2900 came with a single 6.2L?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I would guess that Rens' issue is all the above; slow to plane, difficult pulling a skier, low top end. My 2400 SC3 is lighter than his 2400 SCR and I know I wouldn't want anything less than the 300 HP 5.7 V8 and B3 drive that mine is fitted with. His, with the 4.3 - which is rated at either 190 or 220 I think, is working very hard. I'd have to guess the same with the 2900 and 6.2/B3 combo (I think the 6.2 is rated at 320 HP

Nevertheless, I also agree with the no foil idea. If you need to get some lift at the stern and get on plane quicker trim tabs are the best solution.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

ok guys
so there's nothing i can really do about it because i'm not going to swap the engine for a bigger one. this one is only yust installed and brand new (by former owner)
the boat has a top end speed of 60 kmh that's about 32 knot's ??
the vortec produces about 240 bhp and has a 3 blade
have tangeled around with other blades but this one is the best for this combi
i doesn't have plane issues but yust would like to have it a little faster
the good thing is that it runs pretty economic (18 liters an hour at about 3600)
my former boat went about 50 knot's and, although that was fast for a 20 footer, that was nice.
i would like a little 10 knot's more.
well
will have to ask santa
rens
Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Captain

hai rens....

18 liters is only 4,5 gallon.........get serious..... read test results of the 2400 sc (my boat with the 260 HP uses 3 gallons with a rpm of 1200).....

look for boat tests on boattest.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maxum 2400 SC (2004-) Test Result Highlights

Top speed for the Maxum 2400 SC (2004-) is 49.2 mph (79.2 kph), burning 20.5 gallons per hour (gph) or 77.59 liters per hour (lph).

Best cruise for the Maxum 2400 SC (2004-) is 34.3 mph (55.2 kph), and the boat gets 3.28 miles per gallon (mpg) or 1.39 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 206 miles (331.52 kilometers).

Tested power is 1 x 300-hp MerCruiser 350 MPI.

For complete test results including fuel consumption, range and sound levels
go to our Test Results section.
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

sorry ed
can't make it more
went from hermenzijl to willemstad and back
took me about 2 hours +
filled up the tank (till the neck) before leaving
had to fill it up again (the day after) with 36 liter
3/4 of the trip was done in plane with 3600 rpm
the 4,3 l v6 vortec seems to be a reasonable economic running engine
think it's a good result
i know my bayliner liked a lot more
rens
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #10

If top speed is all you're looking for, you might be able to get that with a different prop, but it sounds like you've experimented a bit with props. Admittedly a larger pitch prop will only get you so far before imporvements in top speed turn into straining the engine to keep within the MAx RPM range. I think this is a frequent frustration of folks who start with runabouts and start moving into the cruising class of boats. They're bigger, more comfortable, more roomy, more livable, but not necesserily as 'sporty' as a runabout/day boat. Think of it this way, go from a sports car to a minivan, then to a large van, then to an RV. The more livable (Think RV) the less performance. The RV will simply not perform like a sports car. Cruisers are about getting from point a to point b, then living comfortably when you get there.

32kts is not horrible, I typically cruise around at approx 25kts. I may not be the first guy there, but I'm the most comfortable after I finally arrive.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Rens,

I'm afraid there is nothing you can to do get another 10 Kts out of that boat, you simply will not be able to do it with a prop change. 2, maybe 3 kts, but not 10. An additional 10 Kts will require significantly more horse power.

Enjoy that boat for what it is.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
32kts is not horrible, I typically cruise around at approx 25kts. I may not be the first guy there, but I'm the most comfortable after I finally arrive.
ok. didn't look at it that way. and reading the response of ed i think i can be happy with the fuel consumption (that's al;so worth a lot)
32 kts is ok but only once a while i would like a bit more speed.
next boat will be bigger and that one will have a larger engine.
reading youre post t'is doesn't mean it will be faster but it surely will consume more.
rens veenhuis (RV) :0)))))
Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Captain

hai rens,

look if you can find your boat...... http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=558 or something similar

the 2400 with a 300 hp drinks 1 liter for 1.4 km......on a cruising speed of 55 km

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

My boat and engine are not listed on there. I have the 2300scr named as type 2400scr with a 4,3l 6 cil with 240 bhp.
It's surely more economical than the figures in the list above..pfoei.
Cant fill more in the tank than full and it needed 38 liters.
But i surely didnt make a cruising speed of 55. It was more likely an average of 30 km/h.
rens