Old 11-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default captains call / silent choice / quick & quiet

:hello: Good morning, let me start by saying thanks for a great site, it's good to see that so many others are passionate about their boats also!

I'm an experienced mechanic and a computer scientist and I know my way around a boat quite well. So I hope I can help others down the road.

The reason I joined is to find out some information for myself though. About a year ago I purchased a 1995 2100 SR and I have pondered for a long time, adding threw hull exhaust. Wondering if any of you have ever done this to the type of boat that I have? At first glance it appears that the molded fiberglass swim deck is directly behind where the switchable diverters would mount to the risers..... Is this the case and if it so do you plumb the tips to go below the deck? Should I plan on running them out the sides? Or is this just not recommended at all for the 1995 2100 SR and I should leave it alone?

I have done a ton of research but have not been able to find any first hand experience, especially with a similar boat style. Thanks in advance - Darren

Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: captains call / silent choice / quick & quiet

Darren
first off..welcome to the zoo...your talents are definitely welcome here and hopefully you be able to help out with alot of problems that happen to our boats...

second off...thru hull exhaust would be a bear to accomplish and to date..I don't think I know of one person that has done it................mostly people leave them alone cuz the exhaust exits would probably be below the water line..thus a flooding issue...secondly the cost alone would insane...and finally the exhausts ports would probably have to go out to the side of the boat due to the swim step....the manufacturers have designed the boat so that thru hulls weren't possible to maximize the interior arrangements...I did ask some of the designers about thru hulls and they told me that due to space and safety..thru hulls weren't really recommended....

that's about all I can help with...i know it sounds rather negative but that's what I know about thru hulls....I would say it's possible..but not easily done...

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Doesn't sound negative at all and I really appreciate your knowledge on this. Unfortunately, that's kind of the answer I was expecting. I have a pretty good eye for these things. Such a bummer to cap off that beautiful sound. I'm the second owner. The couple that ordered it went with the 350 HP V8 upgrade that was offered that year. Even with the muffs on it sounds amazing and I was hoping to unleash some of that awesome tone from time to time.

As much of a gear head as I am..... I knew it would be wise to gather as much information about this particular modification as possible. Punching 2 holes in my boat is NOT something I take lightly, your response is greatly appreciated. - DB
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Your 95 looks identical physically to my 97 2100 SR2. My exhaust exits through the drive, but it has the transom flaps installed. They are blocked like maybe they could be converted to thru-hull later. They are just below the swim platform on the outside, so I would think the platform would not be in the way on yours, but what do I know?!?
Watered down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Any chance I could get a picture of that sometime? dbeason01@cox.net Thanks!

Kind of makes me think someone, at one time might have tried it and it might not have worked out so well.....so they removed the diverters and capped everything off? Who knows I guess??

I have swam behind the boat several times and even fully loaded there is always 6 to 8 inches below the swim deck before you get to water. The only time water ever gets to the deck is when I'm docked hard on a sand bar, and even then the tubes would be at such an angle I don't think water could get in there.?.?.....Just bothers me that I can't find even one other boat like ours that has done it........