Old 07-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Ensign

Default broken starter stud

Hey everyone; Have a bit of a problem. Went to the lake and launched my boat (96' Maxum 1900SR) and when went to start the starter just growled. Took it back out and with the help of my brother in laws traced it down to a broken Starter bolt. Other bolt was bent but got out. Does anyone have a easy way to get the other one out. Have heard the only way is to take the motor out. Hoping that is not the case. Will try a left handed drill bit but worried about wrecking the threads. Any help would be appreciated.

millman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Hard to say without seeing it but if none of the broken bolt is still sticking out, as in not enough to grab with channel locks or something, then it sure sounds like you'll have to drill it then use an EZ Out.

If you do bugger up the threads the problem grows. You'll still need to get the rest of the bolt out, then drill and tap the hole to the next size and use an insert.

If getting a full size drill in there won't work perhaps you can use a right angle drill and a mirror? It's likely the bolt isn't very tight, unless it is corroded, so you won't need much of a hole.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks. Mechanic at work and i managed to use a reversing drill bit to loosen it up then worked it out patiently for another hour. Have new bolts coming tomorrow. Better than the $350 the local marine shop wanted.
millman28 is offline   Reply With Quote