Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 99 2200sc stall

Hey guys I don't post here much, just lurk but I'm having an issue I'd like to hopefully get some ideas on. Today I was showing my 99 2300sc to a prospective buyer, we took it out for a spin and it was running great. When we were docking it the motor stalled when going from reverse to forward. The boat started back up, only to stall again after a moment. It now wont start at all, it just turns over and over but won't run. For background this boat has a new motor that was installed in sept and it was running wonderfully. Thanks for any ideas. 3/4 tank of gas in it too for the record and safety switch is in run position haha. Cheers

Stuckinmud15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:28 AM   #2
Admiral

If this have an Alpha drive you could be having an issue with the shift interrupt switch which temporarily shorts out the ignition to remove load on the dog clutch to make it easier to shift out of gear. The switch is located on the shift bracket where the upper and lower shift cables connect.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
If this have an Alpha drive you could be having an issue with the shift interrupt switch which temporarily shorts out the ignition to remove load on the dog clutch to make it easier to shift out of gear. The switch is located on the shift bracket where the upper and lower shift cables connect.
So today a buddy and I bypassed the shift interrupt switch, it wasn't that. We have determined I'm not getting spark for some reason. Might be worth mentioning that the boat was a bit difficult to start before the sea trial. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for the reply
Stuckinmud15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
Admiral

With the key in the run position is the 12V on the + terminal of the ignition coil? No voltage try cycling the safety run/ stop switch, no change is the 12V on the ignition switch I terminal? No voltage check B terminal.

Under Documents you can find the Mercruiser manual for you engine which has a troubleshooting guide.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:33 AM   #5
Admiral

Like said. try cycling the kill switch a few times...

And then get out of the mud
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote