Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 7.4l Mercruiser Strawberry Milkshake

It all started one day when I was performing a pre-inspection of my engine prior to getting underway. I was checking my STDB engine transmission fluid level when I discovered my transmission fluid was now a strawberry milkshake. My STDB engine shifting handle was also frozen in neutral. Not good news and very costly mishap. Apparently, the intercooler had a leak that spilled over into the transmission case. I did what any red blooded sailor would do at that point, I called MarineMax. I had my Maxum 3700 towed to Gulfport FL for repairs. I had to replace the transmission $$$, intercooler, flushed the heat exchanger, replaced the manifold, risers and elbows.

It's ok to stop shaking your head now. At least my 1998 Maxum 3700 is as good as new and ready for more fun on the high seas. Yes, it stills does hurt but I've gotten over it.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Admiral

yeouch!!....BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Transmission Work

I would say that it was several thousand after everything was all said and done. I needed a new transmission and other work that needed done while the boat was out of the water. I feel a little lighter in the wallet but feel more confident that all the work was completed and the boat runs great!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Admiral

thanks for reporting back on the results...sorry to hear about the lightening of the wallet....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Default Mercruiser 7.4L Transmission Replacement

After having my orginal transmission replaced due to the heat exchanger failure, I had to make another trip to MarineMax for yet another transmission. After four months of use, I began noticing a few drops of transmission oil in my STBD bilge. I made a note of it and checked it again after my next trip on the boat. The result, about 1 ounce of transmission fluid in the bilge. I called MarineMax and they sent a mechanic out a couple of days later to inspect the transmission. Sure enough, the newly replaced tranmission was leaking at the shaft seal. Sine the transmission was still under warranty, my Maxum 3700 SCR made another trip to the shop for a new transmission. MarineMax did me right and had the new transmission in the boat within a couple of weeks. Morale of the story, keep an eye on your equipment and always perform pre and post operational inspections. IT WILL SAVE YOU BIG MONEY!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Admiral

thanks for the report back John....sorry to hear about your tranies...but glad your all fixed up now!!....happy cruising!! irate:

Sp
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Default Re: Mercruiser 7.4L Transmission Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman32
After having my orginal transmission replaced due to the heat exchanger failure, I had to make another trip to MarineMax for yet another transmission. After four months of use, I began noticing a few drops of transmission oil in my STBD bilge. I made a note of it and checked it again after my next trip on the boat. The result, about 1 ounce of transmission fluid in the bilge. I called MarineMax and they sent a mechanic out a couple of days later to inspect the transmission. Sure enough, the newly replaced tranmission was leaking at the shaft seal. Sine the transmission was still under warranty, my Maxum 3700 SCR made another trip to the shop for a new transmission. MarineMax did me right and had the new transmission in the boat within a couple of weeks. Morale of the story, keep an eye on your equipment and always perform pre and post operational inspections. IT WILL SAVE YOU BIG MONEY!
He's 100% spot on! ALWAYS do a pre/post trip inspection. I have found that I work best with a checklist I made up for everything. It has saved me more than once driving 60 miles to the launch only to find a problem..
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
Commander

Care to share that checklist? I fly and utilize checklists for everything but have yet to get around to one for the boat. It is a great idea and a must have.
Thanks.
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenwell8962
Care to share that checklist? I fly and utilize checklists for everything but have yet to get around to one for the boat. It is a great idea and a must have.
Thanks.
I would be glad too, keep in mind though some users with larger boats will see quite a few items missing. Mine is pretty simple as I have a fairly small boat.. I am at work currently, but will post it when I can remember to bring it with me.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Commander

Great. Thanks.

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote