Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
FHS
Ensign

Default 3000 SCR 5.7 EFI Bravo II - fuel consumption

Hello,

I have someone looking at my boat and is asking about the fuel consumption. The boat is a 2000.

I totally get that fuel consumption depends on - how much crap (people/gear) you load on the boat, living in the NW we are always dealing with tides, currents and winds, and at what speed you travel 30 mph or 40 mph.

I never tried figuring it out and I took it as an expense of owning a boat.

Anyone with a good guestimate on the gallons per hour for these engines/outdrives/boat using 3200 -3400 RPM (great cruising speed, 28 - 30 miles an hour)

Thanks!
Gary

FHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Lt. JG

Hi Gary,
I have a 1998 3000SCR with twin 5.0L carbed engines. At about 3200 RPM, I'm burning about 9G/Hr per engine. But like you said, that will depend on water conditions and boat loading. But it give you a guestimate of where you should be. Now with 5.7's at that same RPM, you'll be going faster and also burning a bit more.

Hope that helps.
Richard

rtw_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Ensign

Gary did you ever figure out the consumption? I'm only curious. Since I'm the third guy trying to buy your boat. Poor guy, I feel for you.
Chris
Old 08-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Chris, I'm thinking that boat will get around 1.5 ish MPG at cruise.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Admiral

I can remember when I had my 454 3/4 Suburban and I would get these questions of "How many miles per gallon does it get?"......and not to sound like a smart butt....I would answer, " I have no idea, who cares, it is a pulling machine. I can pull my house with this thing and that is all I care about.

Well the same thing goes with the boat gas question........who cares.....is it irrelevant.........It's a boat it is going to use lots of gas and if that is an issue with you, you are in the wrong hobby.

Again I don't mean to be a S-A here but when the boat magazine people do those gallons per hour test.....brand new engines.........excellent water conditions and nobody in the boat except for the test people, usually two and etc etc.

If you do know the gas info, well great and if you don't....... even greater because using more gas will not prevent you from going out and having a good time on your boat because you aren't getting 40 miles a gallon on your 30 foot crusier. The measurement should be fun per hour. How well does your boat do per hour?Off my soap box..........

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #6

I'm with you Roger. I don't look and I don't care. The fuel guage is inaccurate and I'm not relocating from New England to Florida. When it gets just below 1/2 a tank, I put about 30 gallons in it (100 gal tank). I pump out the holding tank every Sunday. When I pull in I look at the guage and decide whether I need fuel or not. I save the same amount of money each month for fuel and stick it in a dedicated savings account. I pay the fuel with a credit card dedicated for the boat and pay teh bill off monthly from the boat savings account. I would go crazy if I had to look at the price on the pump after a fill-up.

Short Answer: I burn under 100 gallons/month. Probably around 60-80 gal./month. More if I have a vacation week that month.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for the info. I could care less about fuel
Costs. I'm just trying to figure out my range on a tank. Wife wants to be able to go from Kingston to nanaimo, bc. Gonna need a fuel stop I'm sure of.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #8

Ah, that will be dictated in a large part by the cruise speed, hull cleanliness, whether the engine is tuned and sea state. Mileage will definitely vary. Keep in mind the rule of 3rd's. 1/3 to get there, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 in reserve. If yo urun for a while, you'll get feel for average consumption rates. sorry, I couldn;t be more help.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote