Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2005 1800 sr3 (Mercruiser 3.0) No electrical power

My boat has been in storage for 6 months with battery removed. Replaced with new battery yesterday. No power anywhere. Terminals are clean. Will check ground connection this morning and will check voltage on ignition. Beyond that, I need advice. No problem with electrical when boat was put to storage in dry garage for the winter. Would appreciate any help out there.

Wallsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard!

There is a 50 amp breaker on the engine (red button) verify it’s not tripped. Check voltage on both terminals. If this is ok check for 12V on the B terminal of the ignition switch. Does the blower or trim work?

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome aboard!

There is a 50 amp breaker on the engine (red button) verify it’s not tripped. Check voltage on both terminals. If this is ok check for 12V on the B terminal of the ignition switch. Does the blower or trim work?
Thanks for the help. I did check out the 50 amp fuse/breaker on the battery and it looked good. I cleaned it up, but didn't replace it. No help. I do have power to the tilt/trim. Nowhere else. I haven't had a chance to get back to this project for a couple days, but I am reading the the Mercuriser service manual to get a better feel for the way the boat is powered before going further. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallsy View Post
Thanks for the help. I did check out the 50 amp fuse/breaker on the battery and it looked good. I cleaned it up, but didn't replace it. No help. I do have power to the tilt/trim. Nowhere else. I haven't had a chance to get back to this project for a couple days, but I am reading the the Mercuriser service manual to get a better feel for the way the boat is powered before going further. Thanks again for your suggestion.
Did you measure to see if there is 12V at the breaker? If not check the 90 amp fuse on the starter if yes check the 10 pin connector for corrosion.

Mike
Old 05-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Ensign

I have done all except the ten pin connector which, quite frankly, I don't know that I even know what to look for... either the connector itself, or the likely place to find corrosion once I do find it. Probably the corrosion would be obvious. Will give it a shot and then, if unsuccessful, I'll hook my trusty trailer up to my vehicle and head for the boat hospital. I do appreciate your attempt to help. I think this one may be beyond me. My wife says I'm too stubborn or tight to pay someone to fix it. There's some truth to that.

Best regards, Wallsy
Old 05-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
Captain

Did you confirm that your kill switch was in "run" position?
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #7
Ensign

I’m having this exact same problem after winter storage. Power to trim/tilt but nothing else. What did you find out at the mechanic?
tfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
Ensign

My problem solved. As is typical, the most obvious solution revealed itself. As I was hooking up the battery, I neglected to connect BOTH negative leads to the battery. Somehow I set the battery box atop this second lead and failed to notice it was even there. Hopefully my blunder might save someone else a bit of troubleshooting.
tfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfisher View Post
My problem solved. As is typical, the most obvious solution revealed itself. As I was hooking up the battery, I neglected to connect BOTH negative leads to the battery. Somehow I set the battery box atop this second lead and failed to notice it was even there. Hopefully my blunder might save someone else a bit of troubleshooting.
I’ve done the same once. Once done you’ll never forget.

Mike