Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1999 Maxum 46 oil test results

Hi All – thanks in advance for any input

Placed an offer on a 1999 Maxum with twin 8.3 Cummings. Survey was great, boat got up the rpm 2610 & 2630 respectively. Cruised at manufactures specs and no smoke at any time. 1050 hours on engines and the 1000 hours service was completed late 2017. They provided the statement showing all work completed at a cost of 16k.
Here in lies my issue-
Had oil samples done to the motors, transmissions and gen. When I received the report back I see the engines both had samples done in Aug 2019 which show high levels of metals

Port motor results 11/2020
– UNKNOWN HOURS ON THE OIL. IRON AND ALUMINUM ARE ELEVATED. POSSIBLE CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT OR BEARING WEAR. CHANGE OIL AND FILTER(S) RESAMPLE AT HALF NORMAL SERVICE INTERVAL TO MONITOR.

Results 8/2019
UNKNOWN HOURS ON THE OIL. ALUMINUM, IRON AND COPPER APPEAR ELEVATED. POSSIBLE CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT OR BEARING WEAR. SILICON (DIRT) IS ELEVATED. CHECK FOR POSSIBLE SOURCES OF DIRT ENTRY. CHANGE OIL AND FILTER(S) RESAMPLE AT HALF NORMAL SERVICE INTERVAL TO MONITOR.

Starboard motor 11/2020 results
UNKNOWN HOURS ON THE OIL. SODIUM IS ELEVATED INDICATING POSSIBLE COOLANT LEAK OR MAY BE DUE TO ADDITIVE IN THE OIL. IRON AND ALUMINUM ARE ELEVATED. POSSIBLE CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT OR BEARING WEAR. MAY BE RESIDUAL FROM LAST SAMPLING. CHANGE OIL AND FILTER(S) RESAMPLE AT HALF NORMAL SERVICE INTERVAL TO MONITOR

Results 8/2019
UNKNOWN HOURS ON THE OIL. SODIUM IS ELEVATED INDICATING POSSIBLE COOLANT LEAK OR MAY BE DUE TO ADDITIVE IN THE OIL. SALT WATER AND GLYCOL TESTS WERE NEGATIVE. ALUMINUM, IRON, COPPER, CHROME AND LEAD ARE HIGH. POSSIBLE PISTON RING/LINER OR BEARING WEAR. SILICON (DIRT) IS ELEVATED. CHECK FOR POSSIBLE SOURCES OF DIRT ENTRY. AFTER INSPECTION, CHANGE OIL AND FILTER(S) RESAMPLE AT HALF NORMAL SERVICE INTERVAL TO MONITOR

Transmission basically showed the same results for both – there was no previous record
OIL TOO DARK TO COUNT FOR PARTICLE COUNT POSSIBLY DUE TO A HIGH AMOUNT OF FINE PARTICLES. IRON, COPPER AND LEAD ARE ELEVATED. POSSIBLE CLUTCH PLATE OR FRICTION DISC
WEAR. MAY BE RESIDUAL FROM BREAK-IN. CHANGE OIL AND FILTER(S) RESAMPLE AT THE NEXT ENGINE SERVICE TO MONITOR.

So – with these results I’m trying to figure out what to do. Do I walk away or is this “normal” for motors that are 20 years old? Seems maintenance has been done and up to date by the owner but why the high levels of metal.

Thanks

Saltwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
Captain

Since we don't know the hours on the oil sample, we can't determine if the levels are high, or normal. The owner had an oil sample in Aug, has he changed the oil since that sample, and, how many hours since the oil change? Without that information it's a guess. I wonder why he got an oil sample in August, then put the boat up for sale.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #3
Ensign

Not sure why the oil test in Aug 19. I was told there was a recent oil change however I now believe it must have been done back then as there was only 22 hours put on the motors between the oil tests.
I did speak with a certified Cummings mechanic today, sent him the sample results and he basically said the starboard motor needs replacement or rebuild.
Saltwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Captain

I would make the assumption that the owner knows the starboard engine is suspect. This forum has some experienced boat mechanics, but diesel is another skill set altogether. I recommend you go to some of the boat diesel sites and present this info. I say this because a gas engine guy will look at the high levels of metals and make logical assumption that the engine is a goner. A diesel guy may look at same results and say the metal content is a little high and he'll take a sample every six months over the next five years to check trends. Just my opinion though and I'm sure you'll hear from others.
The sodium content could indicate a head gasket problem.
I think at this point though you'll always be expecting problems on this particular boat, and you might have better peace of mine moving on.
Let us know how this goes.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #5

A single oil sample shows very little. If the sample was done right after an oil change, it will show nothing. If the oil hasn't been changed in several seasons, it will look horrible, but at the same time, indicate very little.

The most effective method of analyzing an engine via the oil is to do two or more samples with some hours on the oil. What you're really looking for is appreciable change or degradation.

It would be ideal to have the Aug. 2019 oil analysis and a schedule of the oil changes before the Aug. 2019 sample and the current sample you have.

That is the only way to really get a feel for what is going on internally. For example, a little iron in a 20 yr old diesel is expected. A significant jump in iron tells us something.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote