Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1995 3200 water under starboard engine

Hello, new to the site and have a question and looking for feedback. We have a '95 Maxum with twin 454's and after I cruise for about 1-2 hours and get back to the dock, I notice about 5 gallons of water under the starboard engine above the stringer. It is not between the engines in the bilge area.
Would this be caused by a leaky hose or something?

Gary1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Admiral

I’m not that familiar with this model. Are you saying the water is directly under the engine or starboard side of it. If the later I would check the hoses on that exhaust side. If under the engine you could have a leaking bellows, swivel shaft seal, engine hose or freeze plug. Does this only occur with the engine running? If so does it happen with it running but in neutral? Do you keep the boat in the water when not in use and no leak then?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Mike for the response. The boat is docked and when not in use there is no water and only appears when the boat is underway. So it is difficult to inspect while the boat is in motion. The stringer sits just below the middle of the starboard engine and the water shows up to the right of the stringer. It's not a lot of water but I need to find the source as you can imagine. Thx
Old 09-14-2022, 11:38 PM   #4
Admiral

Is the water warm?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:12 AM   #5
Lieutenant

If memory serves me right, there is a drain from the starboard side of that stringer to the center bilge area. If that water is not going in the bilge, I would guess this must be plugged.

My bet would be from the hot water circuit off the engine plumbing if your hot water heater is on that side. Ours is with the 5.7's. I have had one of the hoses go and recently had the fitting on the hot water heater crack. No leak when the engine is not running.
Another good possibility would be from the rubber elbow off the manifold on that side. Those are usually double clamped and I have had to tighten them a number of times over the years on our boats.
Derby Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Don’t know if your boat has dripless shaft seals. My seals were old and would spray water above 1500 rpm. I would get a few gallons on a 30 minute run on plane. Had the seals replaced this summer and engines realigned.
CapPap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:06 PM   #7
Ensign

I will have the shaft seals check out, thanks for the information.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
Commander

Default i have a 3200 and Derby Time is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by derby time View Post
if memory serves me right, there is a drain from the starboard side of that stringer to the center bilge area. If that water is not going in the bilge, i would guess this must be plugged.

My bet would be from the hot water circuit off the engine plumbing if your hot water heater is on that side. Ours is with the 5.7's. I have had one of the hoses go and recently had the fitting on the hot water heater crack. No leak when the engine is not running.
Another good possibility would be from the rubber elbow off the manifold on that side. Those are usually double clamped and i have had to tighten them a number of times over the years on our boats.

there is drain holes through the stringers to allow drainage into the main bilge.

geoffm70 is offline   Reply With Quote