Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default xm stereo

I have a 03 2400sc, am trying to hook up my xm reciever and am getting no power at the 12 volt outlets. I have checked all the fuses and CB's and all checks well. Has anybody hard wired an xm unit. The male end of the xm power cord which fits in the 12 volt power receptacle has a 12 to 6 volt step down is there a way to go right into the terminal? Or does anyone have a suggestion to the power receptacles? Why do I have 3 accy switches on my dash do I need to use these to power the plug ins?

crudeoilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....as for how your hooking it up...my understanding of xm radio is that it's similar to any other am/fm radio...12Vdc...therefore you have it hooked up to the 12vdc supply..now if your hooking it up to an existing radio that was removed..just pull the old one out and use the same wiring..to which I'm sure you know...
oh yeah..there are 3 acc. switches on the dash so you can add things like fishfinder...GPS..radar...or any combination there of....you just need to select one...install a blade connector on the wire and hook it up to the switch...don't forget to make sure you connections are tight and sealed...ground is to the ground block on the bulkhead under the dash...usually yellow wires are there...not black...
SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #3

You should have a couple of options for this:

1) Connect directly to the battery using an inline fuse

2) Connect directly to the fuse bus. Positive to an empty slot with teh appropriate fuse and the negative to the negative terminal.

3) Connect the Accy switch to the fuse bus and the radio to the switch. I find this is a bit overkill as the device typically has a power switch on it and you probably don't need to hit the accy switch to power on the head unit.

I assume that when you say 12volt power receptical you mean a cigarette lighter style? Unless you're going to remove the head unit, that will look like a temporary installation with wires hanging out. You could trace back the wire from the receptical back to the source. It most likely goes to the fuse bus.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote