Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Question Which GPS Chartplotter?

Hi Folks,
I'm embarrassed to say but have not taken a navagation course and last year did not venture far from the marina, just got out in an anchorage area and swam and relaxed. This year I want to head out along the coast keeping it in sight at all times but found that many rocks are not marked by bouys and are only visible at low tide. The admiral wants to get a simple GPS Chart Plotter that will show a safe route to a destination, area water depths and danger areas. I have a 2100sc3 and don't fish. What is a good unit that is simple to run and not out of control price wise.

I have been just getting by going slow, watching the water around me along with the depth guage and following other boats.

P.S. I will be planning to attend a charting navagation course eventually.

Smithbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Smithbrother, I boat in LI Sound, Fisher's Island Sound and Block island Sound. There are many obstructions which are not marked, however every one that I've seen is visible regardless of the tide. Any obstruction that is submerged or temporarily submerged due to tides, is marked with a navigational aid. The aid might not be directly in front of the obstruction. You might find 2 markers, that when lined up, will keep you in navigable water provided you're on the correct side and give the navigational aids a wide berth.

That being said, Garmin, Raymarine and Furuno are the most popular and have, in my opinion, the widest variety of models. Garmin used to be the leader in GPS/chartplotting, while Raymarine (Raytheon) and Furuno were traditionally very popular for Radar. Garmin has been making inraods in Radar in teh last few years. Personally, I like either Garmine or Raymarine for GPS/Chartplotters. There are some other brands out there as well, such as Lowrance, Simrad, Standard Horizon.

If you take a look in the Buy/Sell section, I think you might even find someone who is selling a used Garmin GPS/Chartplotter (color) with the charts already loaded. You might even be able to make an offer. I know for a fact that it hasn't been sold. I also know that it would be perfect for what you're looking to do.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Shrew I went to the Buy Sell and tried to send you a private message saying that I would take it if still available. I cannot send you a private message however because it said your mailbox was full and you had to clean some out first. I would give you my cell number but not on the open forum. I know you travel Rt 395 to the shoreline and I'm about 6 min away from the Dayville exit. Let me know.

Thanks
Dave
Smithbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Smithbrother,
I looked around for a month or so and finally decided on the Garmin 441s chartplotter/sounder. It is currently on sale at West Marine for $100 off bringing it down to around $430. It comes without a transducer but you can always get one if you decide to use the fish/finder and depth features. I also bought the 3D micro card to bring "real image" to charts much like a Google image. Bought micro card on-line from DISCOUNT GPS STORE and saved about $85 from what WM was selling same card for. It also brings into use 3D underwater graphics that gives true image of underwater landscape.
You can get the same unit without the fishfinder if so inclined but I think your'e better off with it.
ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Captain

i have a garmin 740 chartplotter with the $300 mini data card. The thing came with my use boat.

All well and good but all you really need is a GPS and a moving chart under it.

That being said, if your have an I-phone, or android, your can down load a FREE App's that will use the phones GPS and have the marine depth chart under you for free.

You can buy the upgrade Aps for $15 and get every mairina, gas dock and point of intrest.

Also, FREE aps for tides station, weather, currents, buoys..... also a speedometer to check against your gamin...

The screen size is really the only diffrence.

My Garmin mini card updates when I plug it into my PC at home, but will never be as detailed as the cell phone for current information.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #6

I know of at least one member on this forum who would probably argue that staring at a phone while operating a boat can lead to heartache. I'm not in the business of naming names.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Captain

well, i met Mr. Sea tow by doing the same thing playing with my Garmin 740 when this sand bar cut infront of me..... Mr. Sea Tow walked up to me in the boat like a patrol officer.....

but, we have nice sand in the puddle we call the great south bay, so I just lost some bottom paint.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote