Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Upgrading JBL Stereo in a 2007 Maxum 2000

I recently purchased this boat and the radio doesn't sound great. I would like to upgrade it but I do like how there is a remote at the helm and at the stern so I may have to stay with JBL if I want to keep those features. The JBL MR-6 is what is currently installed. If I do replace the current head unit due to the buttons being worn and not readable if I installed the newer JBL MR-45 would I still be able to use the factory remotes?

To upgrade the sound I was looking at keeping the factory amp and upgrading the speakers for now and maybe in the future upgrading the amp if it doesn't sound decent. . Where is the amp located at? Any suggestions on what speakers to get with keeping the price reasonable? I have 6" speakers at the helm and 6x9's in the back.

brian0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Admiral

Are the remote control hardwired or wireless? If wireless then issues. If hardwire remove the connection at the radio and compare to the new one for connector pin out and shape.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

There isn't likely much sound difference between head units - especially on a boat. Biggest bang for your buck is upgrading the speakers and/or adding more of them, like a sub woofer.

There may not be an external amp, the (small) amp is built into the head unit. At lower volume levels a head unit with a built in amp will be just fine, it's not until you decide to really crank it that adding a higher powered external amp pays off. Basically, comparatively low power amps start to distort the sound sooner than do higher power amps. If you add a SW they do require a decent sized amp.

IMO, you can use the amp built into the head unit to power smaller speakers, and an exterenal amp to drive the larger ones - but I think you first need to determine how loud you want the system to play distortion free.

Call JBL to see if the remotes from your current system will work with newer one - that'll be the only way to know for sure.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Recently I replaced my existing JVC speakers with Polk Audio MM651UM and added additional 2 speakers Polk Audio MM6501UM. Great speakers but the second one are slightly better. I'm using head unit Fusion MS-IP600 which drive those speakers pretty good. I'm planning to add an amplifier and subwoofer in a next few weeks.

Like ss3964spd said the speakers are most important piece of your set and you should start from them and if won't be satisfied you can go forward and add the amp and sub which should make a very nice set. I got all of my stuff at amazon where I found it very reasonably priced.
forbes210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Most of the regulars have seen this.. but to the OP, go big or go home! (I’m kidding of course), good speakers will make a lot of difference.
http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...reo%E2%80%A6-D
Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Lieutenant

I located the factory JBL amp located under the driver's side cockpit. All of the gains were turned down to low so I turned them up and the stereo sounds better but I'm still planning on replacing the speakers. I don't know if the factory JBL amp is any good since the speakers are constantly crackling.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

The higher you turn up the gain(s) on the amp the more the speakers are going to fluctuate/travel. (also known as throw or suspension) because you are increasing the power to them. If the voice coils on the speakers are damaged, rusty or warped they are going to crack. With the stereo off and the speaker removed, you can carefully place your fingers on both sides of the cone and move it up and down A LITTLE, try and go as straight up and down as possible… If there is any drag, catching or grinding you have a problem and they should be replaced.

Amps typically work or they don’t. If you have sound, the amp is most likely fine.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Default Upgrading JBL Stereo in a 2007 Maxum 2000

What options do I have to replace the factory JBL 6x9's? I'll be powering the 4 speakers with the factory 4 channel JBL amp. I have seen Infinity, Boss, JBL, and Kicker. Any recommendations? I've also thought about going to a 6 or 61/2 speaker and using an adapter plate to make them fit but then I would have to make sure they fit behind the factory 6x9 grills or the plate would show.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Are the remote control hardwired or wireless? If wireless then issues. If hardwire remove the connection at the radio and compare to the new one for connector pin out and shape.
The remotes are hard wired. If I upgrade the head unit to a different brand, I'll have to buy that brands wired remotes to fill the space of the current ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Biggest bang for your buck is upgrading the speakers and/or adding more of them, like a sub woofer. If you add a SW they do require a decent sized amp.
IMO, you can use the amp built into the head unit to power smaller speakers, and an exterenal amp to drive the larger ones - but I think you first need to determine how loud you want the system to play distortion free.
At the moment, I don't really have anywhere to put a sub and I don't know if the factory amp would power one anyway. I don't want the system crazy loud, just nice and clear and distortion free riding at 25-30mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradride View Post
The higher you turn up the gain(s) on the amp the more the speakers are going to fluctuate/travel. (also known as throw or suspension) because you are increasing the power to them. If the voice coils on the speakers are damaged, rusty or warped they are going to crack. With the stereo off and the speaker removed, you can carefully place your fingers on both sides of the cone and move it up and down A LITTLE, try and go as straight up and down as possible… If there is any drag, catching or grinding you have a problem and they should be replaced.

Amps typically work or they don’t. If you have sound, the amp is most likely fine.

I appreciate the tips. The amp is fine, I turned the gain down after I tested the speakers and found some rot on 2 of the 6x9 speakers.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

6x9 are your best bang for the buck.. more surface area means more bass… get some nice 2 or 3 way speakers (with mids and highs built in) . I use these and LOVE them.
http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-Marine.../dp/B0007V5X0Y
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bazooka-MA...6-X-9/13812434

Looks like they may be discontinued though..
I found 1 pair on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bazooka-MAC6...item53e71e8341