Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default unknown gauges

hey, i just bough a 2006 maxum 1800 mx and there are a few questions i have. first what does the blower and accessory switch do Click image for larger version

Name:	maxum21.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1197, also how do you change the oil in there like where is the drain plug?

Thanks

twistable_deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Commander

The "blower" is the exhaust fan in the engine compartment. It should be ran several minutes before you start your engine and during operation.

Most people suck the oil out through the dipstick. There are several manufactures of pumps with containers made specifically for this purpose.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Admiral

TD
first off...the gauges are standard type gauges that you really need to keep an eye on while driving....
voltage should stay around 13.5 vdc while running...
oil pressure should be about 15-60psi....
speedo...how fast you go....
tach..how fast the engine turns
trim gauge...that's the angle of where the outdrive is...down and then bump it up on the throttle to free up the boat...you'll feel it
temp...that's the water temp of the engine...

fuel guage...guess that should tell you how much gas ya got..

to change oil....get an oil bouy....cost is about 60 bucks at west marine and hook it up to either the dipstick or if you have an oil drain tube..suck it out there...

acc switch is a spare switch ..you can use it to power a few things that you are going to add....like fish finder....loud a$$ed stereo system.....etc...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronthelake View Post
The "blower" is the exhaust fan in the engine compartment. It should be ran several minutes before you start your engine and during operation.
Deer, since you are asking about the blower it appears you're new to boating. Although David replied I think it is important to stress the use of the blower.

You're boat uses gasoline. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and, therefore will collect in the bilge (the area in and around the engine compartment, and specifically under the engine). A gasoline fueld boat has an ignition system (sparks), as well as an alternator (makes electricity) for charging the battery(s), and it's likely that the battery(s) are also located in the engine compartment. All those things have the potential to cause a spark. If there is a sufficient volumn of fumes present in the engine compartment a spark will ignite them.

This is considered A Bad Thing.

The blower is actually more of a suction devise. It has two, 3 or 4 inch diameter, plastic tubes connected to it; one - the suction (or intake) side, leads from the blower housing to somewhere low in the bilge close to the bottom of the engine oil pan, and the other (or exhaust side) leads from the blower housing to a opening on the exterior of the boat.

The sole purpose of the blower is to draw gasoline fumes out of the bilge and exhaust them to the outside of the boat, thus reducing the possibility of an explosion. Procedure is simple; before starting the engine turn the blower on and let it run for 4 or 5 minutes. It is also recommended to run the blower when operating the boat at slow speeds, and also whenever you re-start the engine. Also a good practice is to lift the engine hatch and sniff for fumes prior to starting the engine at the beginning of your outing.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #5

Twisted_Deer, I'll start with a welcome to the site, just in case someone hasn't already. It's great that you are reaching out to find out what you need to know, that is a good start. Even if you're state doesn't require it, I strongly suggest taking a safe boating course. there is A LOT of good info. there that everyone should know. I'm sure that you are no stranger to operating gasoline engines, and probably even familiar with boats, however opertaing an Inboard or I/O on a boat requires some additional knowledge that is critical.

I think the details on this one have been covered, but there are so many other topics which are useful and, in many cases, necessary to know as well. Best of luck.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I echo the very sound advice regarding taking a boat safety class.

Congrats on the boat, welcome to the club, be safe and most of all --- enjoy!
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I prefer to do a whiff check first, BEFORE turning on my blower so I don't blow out fumes/evidence of gas fumes. I get down on my knees, open one of the engine hatches on the 2900 SCR and take a big sniff... THEN I go turn on the blower for a few minutes. So far there's never been any fumes (fifth season with Endless Summer) but if there ever WILL be any fumes I don't want the evidence of them blown out before I can smell them.

Minor point but you don't get a second chance when there's a kaboom!
Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeans View Post
I prefer to do a whiff check first, BEFORE turning on my blower so I don't blow out fumes/evidence of gas fumes.
A very good procedure to follow Jeff. I do the same thing the first time I put the boat in the water for the season but should do so at the start of each boating day.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
Lt. JG

I usually like to open the engine hatch to visually see if anything nested there or if anything else looks funny. I rarely turn on my blower cause I usually vent quite a while before I am actually ready to start

As for the oil, I installed a drain hose kit that hooks to where the oil rrain plug/dipstic tube bolts to the oil pan. its the ONLY way to go IMO. Hurts once and I dont worry about buying a oil sucking machine and leaks etc. Oil drain hose is attached to the drain plug. Cost of the kit was $65. I had some work done on the boat and a buddy of mine suggested I do that drain hose.
I can change my oil anytime I want and this way i also know I get 99% of it out. Sucking it out works ok but IMO leaves all the gunk on the bottom of the pan.

Robert2300 is offline   Reply With Quote