Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Trim Gauge, Ignition switch and horn replacements

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all staying well and safe during this difficult time.

Looking for some more advice please.. Hope to get the boat out of storage early next week and start doing some more work on it.. We are still in lockdown so will be doing as much as I can on land. Boat is a 2001 Maxum 1800SR.

Looking to replace the ignition switch, Faria kronos trim gauge and horn.

The ignition switch just fell apart on a day out on the water.. Luckily I had a screw driver handy... I took pictures before putting it into storage however I didnt measure the depth. Any one know which is the correct ignition switch for this model? (Pic of dash attached)

Next up we have the Faria trim gauge. I have no idea why the previous owner left this out when replacing all other gauges?. Trim never worked. Don't know if the dial is stuck or the sender from the outleg is broken. Thought replacing the gauge was the easiest.. I see two models online.. One with a white backing and a digital pin connector and a blue backing model. I think its the blue one I need? Faria Boat Trim Gauge GP7965A (blue back) or GBC121A (white back).

My horn also doesnt work.. I doubt its been replaced.. Anyone know where I can get one that will fit in the front compartment on the side of the bow?

Many thanks as always!
Stay safe
Attached Thumbnails
20191020_123031.jpg   20191019_171229.jpg   20191020_123151.jpg   20191020_122829.jpg  

fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Admiral

Any inboard ignition switch will work just need 3 terminals; B battery, I ignition and S start. Looking at the picture from behind it has slip on blade terminals so make sure the replace has the same. Regarding the trim gauge remove the sendor wire from it, it should read full up when the key is in the run position. Then ground the sendor terminal and it should read full down. If it fails these tests the gauge is bad.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #3

Defender.com or WestMarine.com for an internal horn.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Default Sucess!

Thanks again for the solid advice guys!.. I always like closing out these threads to help others and for all of us to learn.

Horn:
Old one was badly corroded and crumbled when I opened it up inside. The horn was a simple replacement. They don't seem to make the AFI offical one anymore.. and dropped in one of these recommended replacements which I bought through ebay. https://www.fredwarner.net/product/m...without-grill/
Recommend Fredwarner. Lightning fast international shipping.

Ignition switch:
Tried gluing the old one back together.. It failed while out on the water.. so I just snapped it off again and used a screw drive to start it. Have a replacement on order. Looks like a straight forward replacement job.

Trim Gauge:
Thanks @mmwjr for the solid advice again!. Grounded the two senders (see pic) with ignition to run and wouldnt move.. I banged the gauge and it moved.. So I know the gauge is faulty.. Will order a replacement shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
20200516_170131.jpg   20200516_165921.jpg   20200516_165916.jpg   20200607_145642.jpg  
fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Ensign

Default Trim gauge not working

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 maxum SR3 4.3 MPI I purchased her two months ago and the trim gauge wasn’t working!
I’ve changed the gauge and the sender and it’s still not working.
I purchased the farrier original oem gauge and the original oem sender kit and the gauge still won’t work.
There is power to the gauge and it works as I’ve tested it but I can’t get power to the connection loom wires that the sender plugs into. I’ve checked all fuse and they are fine.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Has anyone had this issue before?
Regards
Mike.
Mikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecat View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 2007 maxum SR3 4.3 MPI I purchased her two months ago and the trim gauge wasn’t working!
I’ve changed the gauge and the sender and it’s still not working.
I purchased the farrier original oem gauge and the original oem sender kit and the gauge still won’t work.
There is power to the gauge and it works as I’ve tested it but I can’t get power to the connection loom wires that the sender plugs into. I’ve checked all fuse and they are fine.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Has anyone had this issue before?
Regards
Mike.
You did you replace the sender, cut the wires and splice it in or run the new wires through the transom assembly and mate the butt connectors?

Mike
Old 10-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Ensign

Yes I removed the sender and trim limit pucks removed the bolt that clamps the wires on the drive removed the old kit and replaced a new kit all the way to the connectors. No cutting needed.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
Ensign

The only thing I think it could be is maybe a break in the wiring loom from the gauge to the engine bay as there is power to the gauge but it’s not reading from the sender as there is no power at the sender end?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:34 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecat View Post
The only thing I think it could be is maybe a break in the wiring loom from the gauge to the engine bay as there is power to the gauge but it’s not reading from the sender as there is no power at the sender end?
If you put an ohm meter across the sender wires with them disconnected from the harness then lower and raise the drive you should see a change in the resistance measured. Also if you short the two harness wires together the gauge should read full down if not then your suspension of an open in the harness is plausible.

Mike
Old 10-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #10

You would have served yourself better by starting dedicated threads for each project. Now you have a run on thread potentially hijacking itself with parallel conversations.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote