Old 10-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Teleflex depth sounder?

Hoping somebody here can help point me to a manual for, or even just an idea of how to use this depth sounder which is in my 2001 1800SR.
I have googled till I'm sick of it, and cannot locate anything.
I am guessing maybe this wasn't the original for this boat?
Other manuals I've been able to find describe a 3 button operation, but if this has 3 buttons, I can't find the 3rd.
Just looking at the display label makes me more confused than if it had no label at all.

Appreciate your ideas and knowledge!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
20151005_221814_Los Coches Rd.jpg  

mikealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Lt. JG

OK since nobody has any info on this thing I guess I'll be looking for a replacement.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Are you sure it's a depth charger?
Check this googled link = Teleflex Technical Reference Manual: Table of Contents
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Are you sure it's a depth charger?
Check this googled link = Teleflex Technical Reference Manual: Table of Contents
Thanks for the help. I looked at that link, and cannot locate anything other than vague general references to depth sounders/finders/whatevers.

I'm pretty sure it's a depth/temperature "instrument" of some kind, but it could be a depth charger...I don't know, I thought that was something else but I'm new to this boat stuff.
It has depth, water and air temperatures on its display.
There is another component, (transducer?) in the bilge, just in front of the engine. I think it says AIRMON on it.

This round display mounted on the dash turns on or off by flipping the ACCESSORY switch on the dash.

The temperature function seems to work, though how accurately I don't yet know.
The depth display seems to be random at best.

The main thing is that I cannot figure out how to access a menu on the display. If there is one.
Not being able to locate a manual for this, I looked at many other manuals linked here and elsewhere, and I perhaps wrongly assumed that they all had adjustment capability for setting alarms.
Of course it's possible this one doesn't.

There are two little buttons with:
-------------
1 SEL 2
- +
2 EXIT 1
-------------
and the labeling on them makes no sense and is not intuitive to me.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

This link suggests that the TeleFlex and Gaffrig units were made by Humminbird. Link - Depth Sounders - Penny Wise...
Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks,
Found a manual for a 2 button unit that may be applicable to mine. I'll be checking it this coming weekend.
Appreciate the help.
Mike
Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Just for clarification. TThere is no such thing as a Depth Charger.

There is a Depth Charge, which is a anti-submarine explosive used by the military. It is absolutely not one of those. There is a Battery Charger, which restores amperage to a battery. You're boat more than likely has one, however that is absolutely not it.

There are Depth Sounders/Depth finders which measure the depth of the water. These include a dash mounted display. That is more than likely what that is.

That Teleflex model is not OEM. It was added as an aftermarket item by the previous owner.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Just for clarification. TThere is no such thing as a Depth Charger.

There is a Depth Charge, which is a anti-submarine explosive used by the military. It is absolutely not one of those.
Thanks, Shrew.
I did know that, but I did not want to be, or seem to be, unappreciative of any info offered me in good faith by a more senior forum member, who maybe just wrote what he thought instead of what he intended. I do that, by mistake, sometimes.
I have seen forums where things are referred to by different terminology than I am used to, and so I hesitate to call it wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
That Teleflex model is not OEM. It was added as an aftermarket item by the previous owner.
Thanks for that info. It helps a lot, in that I no longer feel like the only owner of an 1800SR with such a situation.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 AM   #9
Lt. JG

I think I'll go with a new unit, with temperature and depth. Hopefully one compatible with the transducer I already have, which I had above mistakenly called AIRMON. It's actually an AIRMAR...
Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

Thanks for your comment Mike. When I noticed my error, I tried to edit the post to make the correction and was unable to find a way to do that. The posting rules say I can edit my post, but I couldn't find a way to do it. As you say, you had the gist of my reply and know what I meant.

Most people would know as well.

BTW - the depth sounder on my Maxum 1990 2755 SCR was made by Humminbird.