Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Stereo Upgrade Help

I have a 1995 1800SR. It's a first boat for us. However, I am trying to put some upgrades into it. First thing that I am working on is a new stereo. The old stereo (Cassette player with tuning knobs) just isn't cutting it any more. I've already gone out and bought a new marine Kenwood unit and four marine grade speakers. A little back story is that the current radio did not work well and only 1 of the 4 speakers actually worked. Continuing on I took the knobs off of the cassette unit and the unit faceplate. To my surprise I found that there were just two small holes cut for the knobs and a hole for the cassette player to poke through. So now I have this unit that I need to install. The first thing I know I need to so is cut a larger hole to install the new unit. What would be the best way to cut the opening so that I can make sure I am not cutting the opening too large. Next I need to slightly increase the size of the opening for the new speakers. I bought the same size, but apparently today's 5.25"s are not the same size and the old 5.25"s. My issue is that there is vinyl from the side wall going into the speaker opening. What would be the easiest way to increase the hole size without damaging the vinyl so that it tears later on down the road? I also have some wiring to figure out as well. The Kenwood unit is easy to figure out the speaker wires because they are clearly marked. However that leaves me with a red, black, and yellow wire. Looking at the factory wires I can make out the red, black, and what looks to be two transparent speaker wires. Not sure were to connect the yellow. and the two clear speaker wires I'm hoping that they are only powering the speakers. This whole project would go a lot easier if I was able to remove the glove box, but that just isn't possible so I am working with the space I have available. Any help that can point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Sorry that is so long. I feel like I just wrote a novel.

Wallenjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
Captain

I think you know already, but you can access the back side of the stereo from underneath. You have to lay on the deck, but very easy to access everything. The yellow wire is constant 12V for memory (maintains your preset stations and clock). I don't connect this wire directly to the battery and instead splice it into switchable 12v with the red wire. This suggestion may be late, but have you considered a bluetooth amp? You wouldn't need a head unit at all. With four speakers you will need an amp, so just a consideration. Speaker holes: depends on your access, but try to cut from the backside of the hole if possible. You may not need to cut a circle, just notches in existing holes to accommodate the speakers. If cutting gelcoat you generally tape the line you cut to reduce chipping.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
I think you know already, but you can access the back side of the stereo from underneath. You have to lay on the deck, but very easy to access everything. The yellow wire is constant 12V for memory (maintains your preset stations and clock). I don't connect this wire directly to the battery and instead splice it into switchable 12v with the red wire. This suggestion may be late, but have you considered a bluetooth amp? You wouldn't need a head unit at all. With four speakers you will need an amp, so just a consideration. Speaker holes: depends on your access, but try to cut from the backside of the hole if possible. You may not need to cut a circle, just notches in existing holes to accommodate the speakers. If cutting gelcoat you generally tape the line you cut to reduce chipping.

I can see how cutting from the back for the speaker holes would make it easier. Unfortunately I don't have a tool that would be able to fit in that space. I think the best idea would be your suggestion of cutting some notches. With being able to reach the back of the head unit there is the lower glove compartment that gets in the way. I've even felt around it to see if I could reach all of the screws to remove the lower glove compartment. Some I would not be able to reach to remove.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
Captain

You may want to post a picture of your setup.
Some of your screws may be behind a trim plate. All of it will definitely come out.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsick View Post
You may want to post a picture of your setup.
Some of your screws may be behind a trim plate. All of it will definitely come out.
Here are some pictures of what I'm working with. Hopefully the images can be made out.
Attached Thumbnails
20200726_135146.jpg   20200726_135151.jpg   20200726_135155.jpg  
Old 07-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Captain

A couple of questions: where is your head unit mounted in the glove compartment; vertically or horizontally? Are you trying to remove the black plastic piece in pics 2 and 3? What's behind the black plastic?
Assuming you want to get that black plastic piece off; you may need a screwdriver with 90 degree offset. Or, you could drill through what looks like a carpeted 2x4 below the plastic piece. Also, the vinyl covered trim on the port side is probably held on by two screws and comes off easily. That may give you better access.
That carpeted 2x4 under the glove box is good place to mount speakers or an amp.