Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Stereo sound

I can't hear the stereo while under power. What do I need to do to make the music loud enough to hear while under power?

TayTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Captain

hay tay.....

check on the stereo if you can connect an strong amplifier.....if thats possible buy one with connections for a woofer and 4 speakers.....power of the woofer...around 800/1000 watts....power of the speakers.....in the front between 100/200 watts, at the rear between 250/350 watts......that will do

i have an upgraded stereo system in my 2400 sc, but it gives me not that pure and natural sound (to me loud is not important) wich i have in my car, so i'm thinkin of taking the same in my boat as in my car........pioneer radio/cd with 4 times 50 watt....amplifier sony xm-gtx6040 600 watt.....speakers jbl front 150 watt, rear 350 watt....subwoofer jbl 1000 watt......it gives me the pure sound i love.......and when i want it loud........wowwwwwwwwww....do'nt hear my car engine running at all....

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #3

What type of boat do you have and how do you boat? (e.g. anchor on weekends, or just day cruises?) An amplifier might have a higher amp hr. draw than you might anticipate and may need to look at the 12v suppply requirements for the items you're using over a particular time period. I wouldn't be concerned with power draw while running or while connected to shore power, but sitting on anchor running a powered amp for extended periods may become problematic over long periods of time.

Just a thought.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Captain

thats right shrew.......if you want it the way i want to have it you need 2 batteries (i'll do everything with 1 batt, the second is stand by when 1 is empty, we all want to come home at a certain moment)

greatz, ed
Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Largely depends on the boat itself - where the speakers are mounted.

Mine, for instance, are mounted pretty low - around shin or knee level if I recall, and on the sides. While underway I typically stand so, even with the wind screen, my noggin is in the wind stream. If I'm running the boat just at planning speed I can hear the stereo ok without needing excessive volumn. At cruise though, between the wind, the water, and the V8, I'd have crank it way up. I just don't want that much racket. Of course, I'm also an old fart.

Back to the issue; the absolute best solution is to find some speakers that you can mount in a location that is closer to your head. Idealy positioned in front of you and pointing aft. Perhaps there's a spot behind the wind screen where they would be protected from wind and water?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Thanks all, I to am an old fart and would prefer clear sound vs loud. I think I'll try an amp to help and maybe better speakers. I have a sc2300 with two speakers in cockpit and two in the cuddy.
TayTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Captain

hai tay....

if you dont want to make it that expensive but good go for the XPLOD series of sony....the amplifier has the possabillity to change levels and the speakers are of a good quality and not to expensive ( here in holland)....there are special boat speakers but they dont give that nice and pure sound to my opinion.......

succes and let us no what you you are going to install...

greatz, ed
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

As said previously pay attention to the battery power draw. My current boat came with 3 Alpine power amps; 1 for the front speakers, 1 for the rear speakers and a monoblock for the subwoofer. 1/2 the time there wasn't enough power to have the amps click on, even with two 900 CCA bat's (1 at a time to preserve for engine start). The setup was overkill, as each power amp had 4 channels each. I finally ended up removing the two power amps and leaving the subwoofer amp attached. The power for the 4 full range speakers comes from the head unit, about 50 watts each. I also put in bass blockers to reduce distortion for the 4 speakers, and let all frequencies 100hz and below come from the sub. Now it works really well with minimum power draw.

Tay, one other thing to consider is the stock speakers are just mounted on the wall and not in any sort of 'speaker box.' A lot of sound gets lost that way; you may want to consider reconfiguring the speakers to include some sort of speaker enclosure for each if practical for your boat.