Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Stereo removal 97 1900sr

Hi i want to replace the original stereo with something newer and was wondering if anyone has any experience on how to remove the old stereo. i looked under the dash and saw that it had a bracket with a bolt in the back, just wondering if that is the only thing holding it in or if it is also attached on the side.

Also does anyone know if there is a connector that plugs into the original harness that i can wire it to my new wire harness for the stereo.

Javier A Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Commander

I replaced the stereo in my 96 2100SR. According to the parts guide for yours, it is the same stereo. So mine was the old 2 post style (1 post for volume and 1 for tuning). If yours is the same, you have to pull the knobs off and then pull the nuts off the posts. Then remove the back bracket and it should come right out of the back side. I was not able to find a harness adapter so I just cut it off and spliced the wires in with heat-shrinkable butt splices.

So my new stereo was a DIN mount. So I have to use a straight blade hacksaw and cut out the panel opening so the DIN mount fit into it. It was a pain but does work nicely now. I also replaced my speakers with Polk Audio 5-1/4 db521 series. Had to cut the opening just a bit bigger to fit them but just a trimming. Not nearly as much as putting in 6-1/2 speakers. I then added 2 more speakers above the grab handles between the front facing rear jump seat and the rear facing convertible seats.

mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Ensign

awesome thanks for the help.
Javier A Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Commander

No problem and good luck with it. I did forget to mention that I had to trim to back lip off of the smoked plastic cover as it hit the face of the new stereo when opening it. It is fragile so be careful trimming it but a Dremel or similar would work great for it. That cover is easily removed by pulling the center pin out of the black plastic rivets on each side. Once the pins are removed you can pull the entire rivet out and the cover will just fall off.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote