Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default speedometer acting up

Hello all, I've read the posts about trying to clean out the speedo hole on the leading edge. Will do that tomorrow and take a look to see if I can find the mentioned hose.

Is there a way I can test to see if the speedo is working without being on the water? Would like to know if I've fixed it before I head out again next weekend.

I checked under the dash and no disconnected wires - 1 central cable and 2 small wire clips still attached.

'07 Maxum 1800MX Alpha1 135hp I/O Mercruiser- the odd time the speedo didn't work last year but then the next time it was fine for awhile. Had the boat serviced a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't worked the past 2 times out. Anything that could have possibly been done during the service (fluids changed, leg pulled and inspected, water separator installed) that would render the speedo non-functional?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

chiroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Ken.
it's a pretty simple system....take a 1/4 drill bit and by hand see if anything is blocking the pitot tube on the leading edge of the leg....if you don't get anything...then probably the lower leg needs to be removed and the chamber needs cleaning out...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Even easier that that...stuck my head under the leg and found that the little tube (1/8"?) that runs up the leg and into the transom was not connected to the quick-connect that mounts it to the leg. Postings mentioned this tube to be clear or white, mine's black, gotta be the same thing. The zap strap holding the tube on might not be tight enough. I pushed it back on, if it happens again I'll replace the zap strap. Didn't want to monkey around with it and end up breaking off the nipple on the quick connect. Was able to fit a 3/32" drill bit into the hole about 1 1/2" and seemed clear. Hopefully that was it, will be on the water this aft so I'll know shortly. Didn't know if I could blow into that little tube to see if the speedo moved, read somewhere that could break the speedo diaphragm?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
chiroken is offline   Reply With Quote