Old 07-15-2021, 12:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Shore power

97 3000scr twin 4.3L 2 batteries, 2 battery switches. Bottom switch is house. Mechanic told me to put both switches on 1 when I drive the boat and both switches to off when hooked to shore power. I have no power when on shore power when house switch is off. If I put house switch on 1 or 2 or both I have power. Is this normal or is the mechanic right and switch should be off when on shore power?

Jkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:30 AM   #2
Captain

You are correct, only if you put house switch on 2 (BOTH) you are connected to both batteries. the same goes for the other switch.
If you turn off the battery switches when on shore power no 12 volt items will work.
Don

2012 South Bay Pontoon
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Captain

I alternate between batteries each trip. If the day is an odd number, switches are in POS 1, even days they are on 2. It spreads the usage between the two batteries so one isn’t always carrying the load. Using 1 bank at a time keeps one in reserve for starting after a day on the hook where the house loads may draw down the battery.

Once back on shorepower, the switches can be put in Off as you leave, but I usually just leave them on so I have lights, etc when I arrive back at the boat the next time. Battery charger is connected directly to batteries, so as long as there is shorepower (And the breaker is on) they will charge.
jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
Mechanic told me to put both switches ........ to off when hooked to shore power.
Your mechanic is an idiot!!!

If you turn off your House battery bank you will not have lights or pressure water pump (water from faucets), even when you are on shorepower. If you have an electric flush or vacuflush head you will also not be able to flush the toilet.

On shore power, the shore power supplies power to the battery charger, the battery charger keeps amperage flowing the batteries. All the 12VAC systems continue pulling from the batteries regardless of whether you are connected to shorepower or not.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
Ensign

I have a 1995 xr2000. Looking for navigation bulbs front and back.
Reco62 is offline   Reply With Quote