Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #1

Default Replacement Gauges

1997 2800 SCR

I'm looking to replace the stock gauges. Speedo & trim don't work at all, Temp runs hot (compared to readings directly off engine), Tach sticks periodically & fuel isn't accurate at all.

Maxum parts shows the Tach & Speedo as 5" and doesn't list the size of the oil, water temp., Voltage, or fuel or trim.

When shopping I find a large number of Teleflex which appear to be 3" Tach and 2" Oil, Water, etc. In many cases the sizes of the gauges aren't listed. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement gauges for my model/year?

I'm replacing the 454 with a new 496 in the spring. I still want a set of analogue gauges.

I would also consider replacing the entire dash panel with a new one. Has anyone attempted either project? Any advice?

Steve

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

I got new standard guages from here as mine were pretty much the same as yours

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Lakes-Skipper

Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Replacing the gauges is a pretty straight forward job. Be sure to replace the sending units as well to be sure they match. In my old Maxum my temp gauge was off by 20 degrees.

Most marine supply stores will have replacements. 2 inch is pretty standard for the smaller gauges.

Ebay is a good resource for them.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Commander

You may be able to find exact replacements here:

http://www.greatlakesskipper.com/pro...cfm?CatID=S784

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really short on placed to purchase parts though. An internet search turns up thousands of places willing to ship you a part. What i'm stuggling with is confirming the size that's suposed to be there. The online parts catalogue doesn't provide teh necessary info.

I could drive 2 hours down to the boat and start removing guages, but was hoping someone might have some accurate information on hand for recommended replacements. If not, then no big deal, I'll drive down there and some upcoming weekend and take the measurements.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Commander

I suggested Great Lakes Skipper because they sometimes have exact OEM replacement gauges for a particular model. If you want something else just call U.S. Marine and give them your hull ID number. They will be able to tell you what size they are.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tglee
I suggested Great Lakes Skipper because they sometimes have exact OEM replacement gauges for a particular model. If you want something else just call U.S. Marine and give them your hull ID number. They will be able to tell you what size they are.
That's what I thought. Why do you need the sizes if they are going to supply the original guage
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

I didn't see this reply so sorry for the delayed repsonse. Technically, I'm not actually replacing the existing guages with stock OEM replacements. I'm replacing my 1997 454 with a brand new 2008/2009 496 MPI and want to replace the stock guages with Smartcraft analogue guages. I like the accuracy of SmartCraft, but don't want to replace the oem analogue guages AND get a SmartCraft display. I'd rather just get smartcraft guages and be done with it. I stated I was replacing my stock guages, but failed to specify this in my original statement.

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve
Old 06-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
Ensign

Default Updated Dash Panel?

I want to update the dash panel on my 2000 2800 SCR. Any ideas on where I can purchase one?

Moe Lace is offline   Reply With Quote