Old 08-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Remove and Replace Stereo in 2003 1800 SR

I am wanting to remove and replace the stereo in my 1800 SR. The old stereo ate a CD. I don't see anyway to access the back of the system for removal. Can anyone tell me how this might be accomplished?

Thanks!

mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Captain

you pop the face trim ring off the front of the radio, and then there are click on the side of the unit and it will slide right out, like the radio in the dash of your car.

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Ensign

I'm sorry but I don't see any "clicks" behind the face trim. I do however feel a bracket behind the stereo that attaches below the system to the inner wall of the glove box. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any easy access to getting into the tight area up under the glove box. If anyone has any experience doing this operation, please let me know.

Thanks.
mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Admiral

With the face remove there are 2 slots 1 on either side that flat tool provided with the radio are inserted, this unlocks the radio and allows it to slide out towards you. Once removed there should be tabs that you bend to remove the radio cavity and wiring then you can install a new one.

If you don't have the tool try a place like best buy as they sell and install car radios with the same system.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Ensign

I too am trying to remove the radio from my 2000 Maxum 1800SR, popped off the removable plate, using the 2 wedges picks that came with the new radio, but was unable to push/pop out the old radio. Even bent the wedge tools because of pushing it into the holes but still wouldn't budge the radio out.

How did it work out for you Mike1 ? Thanks guys.

Btw, did you have to buy a harness to attach to the new radio? I'm replacing it with a Kenwood KMR-M308BT (has Bluetooth capable which will mesh well with the iPhones).
tbonestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

These are often times referred to the stereo “sleeve” and if it was installed correctly there should also be a back brace on the sleeve if it’s a FULL sleeve basket or the back of the head unit if it’s a partial sleeve.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CWgLW9ZnL.jpg

Stereo removal KEYS (most are proprietary and only work with the sleeve/head unit they are designed for) - https://www.google.com/search?q=ster...w=1920&bih=973
Old 08-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Lieutenant

I've replaced a few automotive radios and when I didn't have the right key, I would use a coat hanger. But like the above statement, sometimes the radio itself has a brace screwed into it. With the right key inserted the unit should start to slide right out.
scoutonwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Ensign

I bought a set of stereo removal keys from Walmart but still couldn't push the radio unit out of the housing. The flat removal keys are very flimsy so and bent easily so that didn't help. After some frustration, I made an appointment at BEST BUY audio installation dept took over. This is how they did it.

The radio is inside the glove compartment. The wood bottom of the glove compartment has 4 nuts, once you remove those nuts from beneath, the wooden bottom can be slide out of the way to allow access to the brace in the back of the radio. Just unscrew the nut holding the brace allows the tech guys to slide the radio unit and its housing out. They charged $85 bucks for about 45 minutes of work. They used the old AudioVox harness to attach to the new radio and it sounds great.

I also replaced the original el-cheapo 5.5" speakers with a set of 6.5" Kenwood speakers and they sound great. May add a couple more speakers later on. But to replace the old 5.5" to the 6.5" speakers, you don't need to cut a bigger holes as they're already there. You just unscrew a couple of screws holding the 5.5" adapter and underneath it is a bigger openning that will fit the 6.5" speakers easily.
tbonestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Sounds like you found someone smarter than the boat! Are the speaker locations under the dash on each side? That's where mine are and I'm trying to figure out how to get a better sound underway. Don't want to add an amp. How is the sound underway?

scoutonwater is offline   Reply With Quote