Old 01-25-2021, 02:56 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default No power to battery charger

Hi Everyone,

The battery charger on a 1997 Maxum 3000 SCR I just purchased doesn't appear to be working. The shore power is connected and working, but the charger doesn't have power (power light isn't on), so I'm assuming it's not functioning. The unit is a PowerCharger 12/20-3 (photo attached).

The batteries in the boat were replaced recently and I'm wondering if something may have happened during the process? I've checked the fuses on the charger and they're good, so I'm a bit stumped.

Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Charger2.jpg  

kt_maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Have you checked with a meter that you have 120v ac coming to the charger? There should be a breaker on your main panel labeled batt charger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2000 Maxum 3700 scr
moconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
Admiral

As said the boats AC panel should have a breaker for the battery charger that needs to be on besides the main breaker being on. After that is there a power button on the charger itself?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:58 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks Mike - I double checked the AC panel and the breaker for the charger is on (as well as the main breaker) and still no power. There doesn't appear to be a power button on the unit (it appears to be just "on" or not).

I haven't checked with a meter yet to be sure it's getting power but will give that a try. Unfortunately I'm starting to suspect the charger itself might be toast.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #5

If you're only going by the lights on the charger, then here is how I would approach this issue:

1) Disconnect the positive lead on the battery that come from the charger. Check for 12 VDC.

If you have 12VDC, then the idiot lights are dead. If no 12VDC, then move on to step #2

2) Check 12VDC from the 12vdc outputs from the charger.

If you have 12VDC, then the idiot lights are dead AND the circuit to the batter is dead. If no 12VDC, then move on to step #3

3) Check for 120 VAC on the inbound side of the charger from the panel.

If you have 120VAC, then your charger is dead. If no 120 VAC, then move on to step #4

4) Check for 120VAC on the outbound side of the battery charger breaker on the panel

If you have 120VAC then the AC circuit from the panel to the charger is dead. IF you have no 120VAC on the outbound side of the breaker, then go to step #5

5) Check for 120VAC on the inbound side of the breaker.

If you have 120VAC on the inbound side of the breaker, then your battery charger breaker is bad. If you have no 120VAC on the inbound side of the breaker then move on to step #6.

6) Check for 120VAC on the outbound side of the main breaker.

If you have 120VAC on the outbound side of the breaker, there is something wrong with the panel backplane connection. This would be unlikely. At this point it would be more likely that none of the VAC is working.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:24 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Thanks very much for the detailed suggestions - that's going above and beyond the call of duty! I really appreciate it.

I'll run through the suggested checklist and report back on what I find. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 01-31-2021, 01:55 AM   #7
Lieutenant

I was able to fix the problem and the charger is working fine now. One of the charger wires wasn't connected properly to the battery terminal. The mechanic that installed new batteries must have missed it. All working now, thanks for the help!
Old 01-31-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
Admiral

Glad you were able to figure it out.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt_maxum View Post
I was able to fix the problem and the charger is working fine now. One of the charger wires wasn't connected properly to the battery terminal. The mechanic that installed new batteries must have missed it. All working now, thanks for the help!
I'm glad that worked out. Thanks for circling back around.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote