Old 05-31-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Default New Maxum Owner

Hi everyone. I am a new maxim 2600 SE owner. I recently bought the boat which is a 2007 model and ran it for a few days with no issues. However when I docked it, not understanding fully how the battery connection, sure power, and electrical panel functioned, I left the boat for a week thinking it was on charge when in fact I did not turn the breaker on labeled battery charger. Now when I turn the battery selector to one I get absolutely nothing and when I turn it to two I get a clicking sound which to me means the batteries are dead. I turned shore power to off yesterday around 2 PM, turned on the breaker for the battery charger and connected sure power. This morning battery one is still not responding at all and battery two is continuing to have the clicking noise. I also have two short power connections one says line one the other says line 2. I left shore power connected all night it is now 9 AM which means roughly 19 hours of Shaw power connection time. What am I doing wrong and do I need new batteries since I ultimately drained them to nothing? I’ve also connected a 12 V jump starter and it is not providing enough to get the engine started. The 12 V jump starter is 1700 peak amps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dalejr03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
Admiral

The jumper box can not overcome the load of a totally dead battery. Shore power #2 typically is for the air conditioning only. You need shore power #1 connected and it’s breaker on, then turn on the battery charger breaker. Note depending on the age of the batteries they may not recover from a full discharge. What did you leave turned on for the week? What position did you have the battery switch in?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
Lt. JG

i would get new batteries as dead old bad batteries will definitely lead to a tow
wiigelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
Ensign

Th am you guys very much. 1 new battery as I wanted to text first and it worked. Thanks for the replies about keeping shore power 1 connected. Quick question you mentioned 2 was for A/C and heat…..should I get another cord and have both plugged in all time?
Old 05-31-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejr03 View Post
Th am you guys very much. 1 new battery as I wanted to text first and it worked. Thanks for the replies about keeping shore power 1 connected. Quick question you mentioned 2 was for A/C and heat…..should I get another cord and have both plugged in all time?
If you are using the A/C or heat then yes use a dedicated cord for it.

Mike
Old 05-31-2022, 07:12 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you!!
Old 05-31-2022, 07:30 PM   #7
Ensign

You guys are so knowledgeable I thought I’d ask for one additional recommendation if you’d be so kind as to provide. Should I leave fridge on during week while I can’t use the boat? I Will have short power connected to bank one, the battery selector turned to off, the battery charger breaker turned on as well as Shorepower one and two breaker will be on. I’m a little concerned if I would be running the risk of killing another battery leaving the refrigerator on even though sure powers plugged in. I understand the thought behind shorepower should drive the refrigerator without sucking juice from the battery but wanted to double check and get your opinion.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:13 AM   #8
Admiral

As long as shore power #1 is turned on as well as the breaker for the refrigerator is on it shouldn’t be a problem.

Mike
Old 06-01-2022, 01:14 AM   #9
Ensign

Thank you again!
Old 06-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #10
PDF
Lt. JG

When away from the boat I turn the 12v DC switch to off and the 1/2/ both switch to off, just in case the marina staff disconnect shore power or have a problem with the supply. We leave the fridge running in summer so if we didn't get down to the boat for a few days I imagine the battery would drain. Gotta have cold beers.

PDF is offline   Reply With Quote