Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Magnum MS2012 Inverter in a 2800?

I have a MS2012 that I'm trying to find a good spot to locate in our new-to-us 2800. The engine-bay is a no-no, so I'm trying to find outside options. So far, I have three:
1. In the cabinet on the port wall right before the stairs down to the cabin, there's enough room on the lower compartment to mount the inverter with several inches on each side. I'd have to put a couple vents on the top and bottom of the door to make sure that it had airflow. So far, this is the primary contender. It's also about as close as you can get to the batteries, with easy line of sight runs there and to the power panel inside the cabin to run the 110 wires and remote cables.
2. In the cabinet right beneath the power panel (port side just as you enter the cabin). This one's harder because it's a long run of battery lines (8 feet or so), and will also have to run the battery cables right next to the existing power conduit, so EMF is a major concern. But at least wiring it up would be fairly easy here.
3. There's a surprisingly huge amount of dead space aft of the cabinet in #2. If you pull the little pleather panel out, there's a huge dead zone in there that I'm kind of mad they didn't put a closet/cabinet into, and I'm contemplating fabricating one into there somehow. In the meantime, it'd be a great place to shove an inverter, with the downside that getting to it would be a giant pain once it's installed, if I need to inspect/service it.

Anyone actually installed a large (or even a small) inverter/charger setup onto a 2800/2900 and have any suggestions?

codingparadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
Lieutenant

I'm now actually leaning toward option #3, since there's not actually enough space for #1 when you mount it vertically to get the required hood and conduit in place (and probably not enough air volume anyway.) #2 is really far from the batteries and a bad use of space. #3 will be a small pain to get to (5 mins to tear the cabinet apart), but I can bolt it to the inside wall, with the terminals pointed directly at the batteries, run a short few foot run of wires to the batteries, and have access to the AC terminal right there. I'll have to cut a couple small vents in the top and bottom of that panel (pointing down to keep the water out) and likely put some small temperature-activated 12V fans on them, but we'll cross that bridge when I start getting high temp readings on the inverter remote panel that proves I need it.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Admiral

Post some pictures so we can get a better understanding of your project, thanks.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Ensign

I have 99 2800, I put a 1500 watt inverter in the smaller cabinet that is right down below arch. It’s just above the batteries so makes short run for battery cables with loc-out breaker and remote in control panel in cabin. No problems with heat. I don’t know how to add a pic, sorry.
del peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Yeah, I thought about doing that. I wanted something powerful enough to run a microwave and/or a small heater for a little bit, as well as a smart charger (the charger that came on our boat, don't know if it's a factory one, is a crappy one that kills batteries pretty quickly when left plugged into shore power.) So, it's a little bigger.

Going ahead with the plan, though. Just ordered two 8D Lifeline AGM batteries to go in the port side outermost rail in the engine bay, which I will run in parallel for the house bank, and then a group 31 Lifeline starting battery, which will go in the factory spot in front of the outdrive hydraulics. Those will show up later this week. Making a quick custom battery tray to keep the big 8Ds from moving (and will strap them down to the tray). Picking up a 14"x14" pizza tray to be the mounting plate for the inverter, and will mount them together inside the wall just aft of the cabin entry door. Need to figure out how big of a backing plate I need to put on the inboard side of that wall (facing the helm) so it won't tear out the fiberglass under heavy waves. Will be running 4/0 cable from the batteries, through a new hole in the wall, to the unit. Will be picking up a new small breaker panel to split out the receptacles from the current breaker to be powered by the inverter/charger.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Documenting the install here:

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...tall-7859.html
Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

Running a space heater off the batteries through an inverter will be crazy. You'd be better off with a honda 2K generator. Inverters already introduce huge loss through the inversion itself. Then the amp draw from a heater would be massive.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Same amp draw as a microwave. We have done convection bakes off the battery bank in the meridian with no issues. It pulls around 165 amps, which is still 0.3C discharge rate. It’s unlikely we will use a space heater much/ever but we want the option in case of man overboard/etc. Much more likely we will just use it for microwave stuff.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Microwaves run for a few minutes at a run. Space heaters draw over much longer time periods. I didn't say it wasn't possible, just very limited in usage.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
Lieutenant

We've baked cookies in the convection microwave on the 408 on the inverter.