Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
cj
Lieutenant

Default Inverter/Charger install

Hello all, I just purchased an inverter charger to replace the charger only in my 2400scr. I am unsure where the AC line back from the inverter to the main panel gets wired to?.....the main 30amp breakers or just to the circuit breakers I want powered...ie the receptacles and microwave.....also, I want to make sure that I am only pulling power from the "house" batts when powering, but want the charger to charge both the "starting" & "house" batts. Do I need to install a batt isolator to accomplish this?
Thanks
Chris

cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Admiral

are you replacing a charger??..if so then you should already have it wired up to the ac panel....which will have a 15A breaker assigned to the batt. chgr....

the wire from the ac panel to the chgr is in marine romex white in color....so...it should be just a simple matter of putting one wire from the old breaker to the new one...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
cj
Lieutenant

....yes the boat is wired for the AC into the charger, what I am talking about is the AC from the inverter/charger back to the panel. The inverter/charger has an AC in and AC out, as well as the DC hook up to the battery's. The Maxum wasn't designed or wired for an inverter so I will have to run new wires back to the panel, just not sure where to hook it up to?....or just use the GFI on the inverter with an extension cord, but I was hoping to hard wire it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Admiral

ooboy...I've never done an inverter to batt charger back to panel before..I would have thought that would get tied into the main buss on the ac panel....

I'll do some checking...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

I am also installing an inverter. My concern with hardwiring to the main A/C panel is what happens when I plug in to shorepower. It seems to me that I should not have the inverter and shorepower connect at the same time.
ShoreAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Commander

Many of the inverters (cheaper models) have 60 VAC between ground and hot as well as 60 volts between neutral and ground (split voltage scheme). I am not an electrician but I would imagine that feeding 60 VAC though your boat's neutral (white) would be a potential shock hazard. Look through your manual for wording such as, "Do not connect any AC load that has its neutral conductor connected to ground to the XPower inverter.".
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronthelake View Post
Many of the inverters (cheaper models) have 60 VAC between ground and hot as well as 60 volts between neutral and ground (split voltage scheme). I am not an electrician but I would imagine that feeding 60 VAC though your boat's neutral (white) would be a potential shock hazard. Look through your manual for wording such as, "Do not connect any AC load that has its neutral conductor connected to ground to the XPower inverter.".
I never realized this, thanks for point it out! It's a dangerous point, and I further wonder how it would affect galvanic issues on a boat?

Rich
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote