Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Garmin 3210 GPS, Radar too?

Hey guys, my current boat came with an awesome Garmin GPS the 3210. I was looking into a small radar system when lo and behold I found that my GPS can also double as a radar through the Garmin network connection. I've read that the GMR 18 radar will be all I need to be up and running. Being a total novice, can anyone offer any advice on this? There's the GMR 18 and GMR 18 HD (high definition) , and I'm wondering how much better the HD is. Any advice would be helpful. Also I do not have a radar arch, so will have to either explore putting one up, or mounting the radome on a mount perhaps in front of the helm as I've seen; any comments on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks, Tom.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Admiral

well...it looks like you can add a radar antenna to the system...problem is they recommend a larger antenna than the one your proposing so I'm not sure it will work.....

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=390

check under accessories and radar....it will show the antenna it recommends....I think it would be waaaaay to big for your boat....
and yes your gonna need a radar arch for it...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

I would make sure that you mount it above your head. It is not safe to put your body in line with Radar for extended periods. If you don't want a Radar Arch, then cosider a radar post. I'll look for a link.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

http://www.pyacht.com/seaview-poles-garmin-3.htm

I've seen these bolted to the sole on the side by teh gunnel. Not as pretty as an arch. Personally I think the arch is more functional anyway, but far more pricey.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

Hey Tommy,
The radar I chose for the Bella Sera is the Furuno 851 Mark 2, it is a standalone 4kw / 48 nm open array type (which I think looks even cooler than the radome models) LCD radar system that works wonderful, but in any case another thing to consider is that most radar systems (like my Furuno) have a menu setting that allows you to limit the active radar sweep to just a partial segment of the 360' sweep. So this allows you to place the radar antenna forward of the cockpit but not above the crews head. This placement and limited sweep comes at a price though; you are only going to see what is in front and either side of you. Which is still very important but is doesn't tell you if something is gaining on you from the rear? I'm often asked why I have radar on the Mississippi River. I simply answer; you obviously don't navigate on moonless nights or in pea soup fog like I am safely able to. A common retort is "isn’t that what GPS is for?" And I again answer, GPS tells you what should be there, Radar tells me what IS there too, and if I am going to collide with a Tow barge or be ran over by one. A pretty safe feeling indeed- ;-)

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
I'm often asked why I have radar on the Mississippi River?
Radar is like Seatbelts, PDF's, spare tires, and flares. You don't always need it, but when you do need it, you don't want to be without it. Radar allows me to go out at night and in the fog. Radar allows me to stay out in an anchorage when I know the following day is going to have limited visibility. We have so few boating days to begin with, why limit them further?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like first stop is to have an aluminum radar arch fabricated come spring, then worry about the radar antenna. SP I'm pretty sure the GMR 18 radome is compatible with my 3210, as it lists the 3000 series among compatible Garmin Network units. I'll double check before doing anything.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #8

Thats the spirit Tommy!
B.O.A.T.! (break out another thousand!) You made the right decision. Why get half the picture when it comes to radar? One suggestion when mounting the radar antenna, you may need to get an optional angle bias mounting plate for the Radar antenna. It's a tapered shim plate that will tilt the radar antenna forward the required amount to keep it level when your big carver is under way to maximize its effective range. It's explained in the owners manual when you get your new radar, but you may as well get it all at once. - or better yet -since you are going custom your fabricator maybe able to build in the angle too? Good luck with your new radar.

Bella Sera 3300scr
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #9

Ditto Shrew.

Bella Sera 330SCR
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sera 3300SCR View Post
One suggestion when mounting the radar antenna, you may need to get an optional angle bias mounting plate for the Radar antenna. It's a tapered shim plate that will tilt the radar antenna forward the required amount to keep it level when your big carver is under way to maximize its effective range.
I second that. The higher the better and as level as possible when the boat is at it's typical running attitude.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Update: we're in S. Florida on vacay and I've been eyeing a Garmin GMR18HD radome for a great price. It's pre owned but from an Ebay seller with 100% positive feedback for many radar systems and all good feedback. I bought it and it turns out he was 1/2 hour from us, so just picked it up to bring it back to NY this weekend. Next will be to figure out the radar arch; so far have found that Atlantic Towers may have a good solution...