Old 06-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Electrical / Pedestal GFPD

Our Marina recently installed new pedestals with GFPD for shore power. When I went to the marina after the install I noticed the shore power pedestal had been tripped. I went down below in the cabin after I reset the pedestal I had no lights and the neither engines would start nor did the dash have power which from what I can tell all 12VDC was out. I checked the batteries which all had were in good shape. I spoke to the manager of the marina and since my boat is older I might need a marine mechanic come out and look at it. Maxum 1996 3200SCR boat info. Any ideas where to start to look for the problem??

jlawter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Is anyone else at the marina having issues with the new shorepower? An insurance claim may be required.

If you know how to use a volt meter first check for 12VDC at the engine breaker, no power check the fuse on the starter. If you have power check for 12VDC on the ignition switch B terminal.

For 120VAC you need to pull the breaker panel to verify incoming power to the breakers.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Lt. JG

The manager said I was the only one he was aware of with an issue. Where is the engine breaker? Sorry the previous owner didn't leave me much as far as a manual
Old 06-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Admiral

There will be one on top of each engine, red button.

Mike
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

The stanchion is AC. Everything you're describing is DC. Unless the stanchion fried the battery charger, I'm not sure how the system would cross-over.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Lt. JG

so the battery charger which is what came with the vessel needs to be replaced then? Odd thing is the charger has green lit up all the way to the right on each side and the red all the way to the left lit up as well
Old 06-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawter View Post
so the battery charger which is what came with the vessel needs to be replaced then? Odd thing is the charger has green lit up all the way to the right on each side and the red all the way to the left lit up as well
What shrew said was only only way a shore power issue could effect the 12V system is if a surge passed through the battery charger. This doesn’t necessarily mean the charger is bad but could be however this is not the reason the 12V system is dead. You need to troubleshoot the 12V system starting with the instructions I stated in post #2. If this is beyond your knowledge base you’ll need to hire a marine electrician.

Under Documents of this site you will find the Maxum owners manual for your boat model and Mercruiser manuals for your engines which includes the electrical system.

Mike
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
What shrew said was only only way a shore power issue could effect the 12V system is if a surge passed through the battery charger.
I'm not sure I went even that far (RE: Passed Through)

1) Power stanchion was tripped

At this point, if there was a 12v draw on the boat (e.g. fan, electronic (sensing) bilge pump, fridge) we can assume there is a chance the active battery is dead.

2) Power stanchion was turned back on

3) Still No 12v on boat.

Even with a dead battery, If the battery charger is getting AC and pushing DC, then the 12v systems on the boat should work.

The battery switch is on?

I would try switching batteries

I would put a volt meter on the DC output of battery charger itself.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote