Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Depth finder replacement

I have a 2001 3000SCR and the factory depth finder no longer works, all it shows is the error code "SL". My mechanic looked at it and he took a different transducer, plugged in the wires attached to the display, and hung it over the side of the boat in the water. He got the same error message and then told me that it looks like the display is the problem, not the transducer.
This made me wonder, if the transducer IS ok, will it work with other depth finders?

I can find cheap depth finders for just over $100 that come with transom mount sensors and I didn't know if I could get one of those, and just use the existing wiring and through-hull transducer with the newer display? My other thought is that if the transducer is already 12 years old, and they wear out, would this even be worth it? Either way, I was still curious...are transducers universal, or specific to the manufacturers displays?

thanks!

Chesapeake Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Admiral

Marc.......I have the same boat with the same issues with the depth finder. What I did was to buy a Huminbird depth finder model #343c with a temp gauge. It was around $350.00 at overtons. I mounted the transducer between the starboard engine and drain hole and it works no matter what speed I go. I am looking to up grade to the gps/finder unit that all I have to do is take the old unit off the dash mount and the new one fits right on. It was about a 4 hour job all together and pretty easy to do. My old dash original equipment depth finder works only when it wants to so I don't care cause I know my huminbird will work like a charm.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Marc.......I have the same boat with the same issues with the depth finder. What I did was to buy a Huminbird depth finder model #343c with a temp gauge. It was around $350.00 at overtons. I mounted the transducer between the starboard engine and drain hole and it works no matter what speed I go. I am looking to up grade to the gps/finder unit that all I have to do is take the old unit off the dash mount and the new one fits right on. It was about a 4 hour job all together and pretty easy to do. My old dash original equipment depth finder works only when it wants to so I don't care cause I know my huminbird will work like a charm.

Roger
Thanks Roger, just one quick question. You don't have to get into great detail, but generally how does the wire run from the mount point into the blidge? Basically what is the route from the outside of the transom, to the inside of the boat.

thanks!

Marc
Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
Admiral

Glad to help.....I drilled the entry hole underneath the ladder above the waterline and ran the cable inside on the starboard upper shelf in the engine compartment. This was along side the water heater. You have to remove the ice chest floor to get the cable to come in underneath the shifters. I mounted the base on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash and used the acc. switch for the power.

Good luck to you....

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Ensign

Just wanted to follow up now that I have finished. Decided to take the plunge, and replace the through hull transducer that came with the boat. I banged it out carefully with hammer/block of wood. Then needed to widen the hole about 1/4" so I used grinder on Dremmel to clean and widen hole. Inserted new one sealing with 4200, ran wire up to dashboard no problem. I removed the old display, and again used Dremmel to make hole in dashboard larger and circular. Wired and fit in new one and it put everything back together! Boat has been in 3 weeks and absolutely no moisture around Transducer. I have to admit I was very nervous when I was looking down into hole in my hull, but all came out great! Project took less than 3 hours.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
Ensign

Realize this is an old thread but which transducer did you use to replace the through hull?

Thanks

PilotEiser is offline   Reply With Quote