Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Battery charger recommendations wanted

I have a 2900SE with three batteries, one For each engine and a house battery. Any recommendations for a boat charger, I need to replace mine and was looking at the NOCO on Amazon but not sure if those can be hardwired into the engine compartment like my existing charger. Would prefer something that allows you to Charge different types of batteries on different channels [flooded, AGM etc.]. If anyone’s replaced their battery charger would be interested in what you thought of your replacement

Kawartha Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Admiral

I've always used ProMariner brand chargers. You'll want to make sure it is marine grade!!

https://www.promariner.com/en

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #3

Charles, Pro Mariner, Xantrex are leading marine battery charger brands.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
Ensign

Default Trickle charger

Can I use my regular trickle charger for marine batteries? I would like to think that because it’s a trickle it wouldn’t matter.
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:44 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Can I use my regular trickle charger for marine batteries? I would like to think that because it’s a trickle it wouldn’t matter.
If they are lead acid batteries yes you can use your trickle charger.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

Trickle chargers are for maintaining batteries over long periods of time, such as in storage. They typically come in 1 amp, 2 amp, 5 amp 10 amp options. They are single-bank only. They are not ignition protected.

Marine battery chargers come in much larger sizes. I had a 40amp 3 bank charger in my 2800. I have a 50amp 3 bank in my boat now. A trickle charger would take days to top off a house battery bank.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Get a ProMariner 3 bank charger. The min amp charging you want is 10% of total bank amps. Since two are motor batteries, 10% would be more then enough to charge the single house battery. 99% of the time, the motor batteries will be fully charged by the alternator, so you just need the extra 2 charger leads of the 3-bank charger to keep those topped off.

You can't over buy on a charger either... if you put down the $$$ on a 100 amp charger, it just means you'll charge your house bank in less then 1 hour. I wouldn't go any less then a 40amp charger though as more is better.

For those reading this and have LARGE house banks, you can actually double or triple up on battery chargers. You can actually install 2 or 3 100amp chargers and run them all to the house bank without issue!

Check out Pacific Yacht Systems YouTube channel, the guy is awesome for tech info.
kenyu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyu73 View Post

For those reading this and have LARGE house banks, you can actually double or triple up on battery chargers. You can actually install 2 or 3 100amp chargers and run them all to the house bank without issue!
Depending on what you using to push the chargers. A Honda 2K portable generator is not going to be able to run 2 x 100 amp chargers. It might not even be able to run 1 x 100 amp if the batteries are deeply drawn down. My 50 amp draws 8 amps. The Honda's internal circuit breaker will trip around 13+ amps.