Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Battery charger life

Hi

Our Boat is not two years old yet and has only 90 hours on it. I was winterizing it and noticed no lights on the battery charger. I got my meter and had 124 volts A/C going in and battery voltage on the out side but not charging voltage. Obviously the unit is not working and I am wondering if it is deffective or just wore out. It is used only off and on through the week to keep things topped up.
It is a promariner Protech1215i automatic charger.
Should this unit have failed this soon? :?
Thanks
Paul

Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #2

Default Re: Battery charger life

I just replaced a DualPro SE with a Promariner Protech 30+ amp, 3 bank chrger. I had a similar problem. The Promariner Charger was showing that it was charging, then would flip over to 'Float'. However, I was only getting a few short hours of lights and or radio before the Group 31 AGM battery was dead. It made no sense. Come to find out it wasn't actually charging the batteries at all. What little charge the batteries were getting was from the alternator. However, I found that I was running at a deficit, buring more amps than I was charging while underway.
I returned the Promariner and bought a Xantrex 40+ amp 3 bank charger and immediately started flipping the charging circuit breaker. I found the charging circuit was using a 5amp breaker from the factory. I upgraded to a 20Amp breaker and the Xantrex never flipped the breaker again. During the winter, I'm going to verify that the eletrical wiring running from the breaker to the charger can actually handle that much amp load. A 15amp circuit requires at least a 14/2 G. wire, and a 20 amp should be using a 12/2 g. wire. I doubt the charger needs a full 20 amps and I may reduce that down to a 15amp and run 14/2 wire if it isn't already installed. My mechanic told me he has replaced at least 2 other Promariner's with the exact same problem. Counting mine and yours, that makes 4 Promariner's that I've heard of so far with this issue.

I would check the same on your boat as well.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Thanks shrew
I found there is no warranty left on my charger so I will be buying a new one. At this time I am charging two 180 amphour deep cycle batteries that came with the boat.
Is there any chargers you found worth staying away from?
Whats the best?
I don't have much faith in the protech model after failing in such a short time.

Paul
Old 10-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #4

Personally, I think Xantrex is the best, however that is also evident in the price. I used to think that Guest and Promariner were ok, but after my last bought with the Promariner, I'll probably never buy one again. I'd spend the extra money and buy the largest Xantrex you can get. I'd get a 3 bank so you have the option of adding a 3rd batt., such as a 2nd house. My Xantrex is a 40+ amp., although that is a probably a bit much, but the charging times are very fast. I'd consider one that supports flooded, Gel adn AGM to keep your battery options open. I like the AGM's because they have a faster charging time and are more resilient to deep discharges.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

OK I think I have found the one I want, It is the Xantrex truecharger20amp.
Is a 20 amp enough or should I get the 40 amp?
If I get the 40 amp one will I still be able to run it on a 15amp curcuit ?
Paul

http://ca.binnacle.com/product_info....oducts_id=7064
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

I bought the Xantrex truecharger 20 amp @ our boat show saved 50.00 bucks. It is installed and works great.
Bring on summer.