Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Are there any aftermarket Bravo 3 diagnostic computers

I have a 2006 Maxum 2600SE with a 300hp Bravo 3 outdrive. There is an intermittant allarm that will go off for one of any number of potential issues. I currently have to go through a process of elimination. I have not been able to solve the latest alarm problem and fear I will have to pull the boat to my dealer for the computer analysis.

Is there a computer/program available so we can perform these tasks ourselves?

boilerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Admiral

I'm sure you can buy a scan tool to pull the codes from the engine if that is what you are wanting to do. What kind of alarm are you getting and when does it occur?

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Ensign

There are two alarms on this boat, a constant alarm means shut down immediately and figure out what's wrong or intermittant which means get home soon and figure out what's wrong. Both are hard to do because there is no way to sort out which of a half dozen items are hooked to the alarms. You have to go through a process of elimination or go to the dealer so he can plug in and charge a couple hundred bucks to tell you what's wrong.

I am getting an intermittant alarm (that I can't shut off, it kept buzzing all the way home) and it can be an indication of low engine oil, low lower unit unit, low battery voltage and a few more I'm forgetting. Since there are no gauges to tell me what is really going on I am forced to go through the list one at a time. I have been through most of them and can't get the alarm to go away. My dealer can't get to me for about 6 weeks which means up here, my season is over.

I hate to be a slave to the dealers diagnostic computer so I plan on doing two things, get gauges to read more of the critical data I need and if I can find one, get a diagonstic computer. My dealer says that his computer, cord and software cost about $6,000 from Mercruiser, too rich for my blood.

I have started plinking about on the internet and have found car diagnostic computers for $100-$400 which would pay for itself with one or two service visits if I could find one for Mercruiser outdrives.

I have started winterizing my boat. Someone posted on another thread that they sometimes get an air pocket in their lower unit oile between the lower unit and the reservoir so I will work through that one while I'm changing the lower unit oil this week but other than that, I'm out of ideas.

It looks like I have all winter now to sort this out.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

The only beep code for the outdrive is a low drive lube warning for the drive lube levels in the resevoir. That should be a chirping alarm. (2 fast chirps I believe). One long continueous alarm is usually engine overheating.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

No gauges, Bob? Not for temp, OP, or Battey (Alt)?

You probably have the same engine and drive package that my boat has; the 350 MAG MPI and Bravo III. There is only one alarm under the helm. That alarm is triggered by the ECU, and not triggered by any of the gauges. I believe each monitored subsystem; temp, OP, outdrive oil level, and possibly charging (alternator) have their own beep sequence to help determine which sub system is the issue. Intermittent beeps are kinda "check this soon", constant are "you're already in trouble". Over heating and low OP will, I believe, drop the engine into limp home mode, if not shut it down completely.

See if you can deterime what the beep sequence is and then consult the MerCrusier manual.

Like Shrew said, the outdrive oil level is monitored at the resevoir, so as long as it is close to full even an air pocket in the drive won't trigger it. I don't think the engine oil pan has a float in it to measure actual oil level, so any alarm related to engine oil would be warning of low oil pressure - a more serious problem. It is not uncommon for the oil pressure sender on these engines to go bad and give a false reading - but you would probably see that on the gauge.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi guys,

My beep sequence is intermittant, no deviation in rate or noise level. The manual lists several items that could be behind that alarm. Engine temp gauge is fine, voltage is fine, my outdrive oil reservoir was full but it was time for me to change the oil anyway so after I refilled it and pushed the oil up into the reservoir with the outdrive down I still get the alarm.

One of the alarms is low water suction pressure. I'm wondering if my water pump is damaged since I run in the Mississippi and get a lot of sand through the system. I might also have zebra mollusks. I will be looking for a place to install a gauge to measure this suction pressure. Any ideas where I could do this?

I'm sure the dealer computer will be able to tell me the problem (for an exorbadent fee) so I would also like to find a computer that could read the codes like the auto computers do, they run $100-400 and that would pay for itself after two diagnostic visits to the dealer.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #7

IF there is a problem with the water pumpe, i'd expect a corresponding increase in temp. I had significant barnacle blockage inside my Bravo 3. It was causing high running temps and eventually it started overheating and going into guardina mode. There was no corresponding alarm except for the constant overheating tone. Merc keeps that stuff proprietary. I believe you're going to have to find a merc mechanic with the software or buy it yourself. It's my understanding that it's very pricey. It would be cheaper to get a diagnosis.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I had no idea that is a low water suction pressure alarm in this system (I've got a 2004 MY 350 MAG/BIII package). Actually, I've never heard/read that there is a water pressure alarm on any BIII set up. If there's an alarm for that there has to be a sensor for it somewhere on the output side of the raw water pump.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Bob, first, welcome to the site! You have the exact same boat that I have - same model and year.

I had to troubleshoot a fuel issue last year, and ended up buying a software engine diagnostic package that runs on a laptop. Here is the link:

http://www.rinda.com/marine/diacommarine.htm

It's about $600, so not all that pricey.

They also sell a handheld unit that's a little cheaper, around $400:

http://www.rinda.com/marine/mtspec.htm

The only complaint I have about the software version is the laptop screen is hard to see unless I get it out of the sun. The cool thing though is that it archives the engine data into a file so you can refer to it later, and even email it to a mechanic (screen shot or actual file if he has the same SW).

I have not had the problem you describe so I'm afraid I can't help much there.

Tom
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Ensign

update: I changed the lower unit oil and made sure it pumped back up into the reservoir (hopefully no bubbles). Changed engine oil and it is full. Batteries have a full charge and the shore power was plugged in for the start attempt. I can't see where to measure water inlet suction pressure. I still get the intermittant alarm. I'm going to have to go to the dealer and plug in their diagnostic computer unless I can find a computer that will work for my outdrive.

Does anybody know of a computer that will work and/or read the codes coming out of the Mercruiser computer? Auto analyzers can cost $100-$400 which would pay for itself very quickly if one can be used on the Mercruiser.

Does anybody know where to put a gauge on the water inlet suction pressure?