Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2001 Maxum 1800SR Stern Light Repair

Hello all, I'm new to this forum so not sure if this is posted in the correct place or not, but here goes: I have a 2001 Maxum 1800 SR sports boat (Inboard 4.3L). I went to use the stern light the other day and noticed the lamp bulb had been broken inside the plastic socket. In attempting to remove the remnants of the bulb (338-2) the socket was broken at the (male) threads. It looks like the socket should be able to be replaced by drilling out the (1) pop rivet that holds it to the end of the light pole. Does anyone know where I can buy this socket? I contacted PERKO, but they only wanted to sell me a new light pole at around $60. This is probably a $.25 part and I hate to spend the money on a new entire pole if I don't have to?? HELP, PLEASE!

Note, the pole is approximately 60" in overall length, is a 2-pin type and has a 45degree bend about 7" from the non-lighted end where it attaches to the socket on the boat.

pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #2

Welcome aboard pthomann!!!!

I don't know of a way to replace the individual parts. I would expect you need to buy a replace light post.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Commander

Pthomann, I am surprised perko wouldn't help you out. I had the same exact problem with the stern light on my 2000 1900SR and they actually sent me just the socket at no cost because they didn't have the part available for individual purchase.
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks CountryME, I contacted Perko directly at the number you provided and they referred me to the Sales Dept., who subsequently asked me for some pictures that I sent them. They said they would get back to me early next week. I will keep you posted. When you replaced your socket, was it a simple drilling out of the pop rivet and replacement or is there more to it than that? Looks pretty simple to me??
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Commander

More or less. There may have been some glue used to originally install the socket, kind of had to destroy the plastic that was left after drilling out the rivet, but it mostly crumbled. Cut the wires as long as you can, then a couple of marine shrink wrap butt connectors and a stainless screw in place of the rivet to install the new socket. It was very simple and the folks at Perko were very helpful. I lead the call that I was willing to pay whatever the part cost and shipping. I am completely confused why they don't sell that part out of their catalog. Hope they come through for you as they did for me.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote