Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 2 bilge pumps?

when i opened a panel in the cabin floor i found a second bilgepump.
is this like a failsafe if the cabin floods or something?

and what is that RULE-A-MATIC switch for next to it?

i also wondered, should a bilge always be completely dry (best case scenario) or is it supposed to always have some amount of water in it?

crus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Admiral

Cruisers have a forward and aft bilge pump. While we all want a dry bilge that is seldom the case. Rule-a -matic is the float switch to turn the pump on automatically if the water level gets to high.

You may have another pump that looks similar for the shower pump out.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Rule-a -matic is the float switch to turn the pump on automatically if the water level gets to high.
so... this should always be switched on i take it? or just when needed?
crus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crus View Post
Should be always ON from the panel.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

Each bilge compartment separated by a bulkhead should have its own bilge pump, regardless of whether the compartment can drain back to the one behind it. If the engine compartment is flooding the mid bilge, I want both pumps running.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:

i also wondered, should a bilge always be completely dry (best case scenario) or is it supposed to always have some amount of water in it?
Mine is always dry.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
There should be two positive leads. One positive lead is always hot. That goes into the float switch, then from the float switch to the bilge pump. The other positive lead is from the switch at the helm. This ensures that there is power to the bilge pump even if the switch at the helm is off. This would only function if the battery switch is turned to ON.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
T
The float switch should be wired directly to the batteries so if the float raises the pump turns on no matter what position the battery switch is in. The helm switch bypasses the float and should only be used if required.

Mike
Old 08-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
T
The float switch should be wired directly to the batteries so if the float raises the pump turns on no matter what position the battery switch is in. The helm switch bypasses the float and should only be used if required.
There are two schools of thought on this. The factory wires it through the bus panel because this allows you to isolate the circuit using the "issolation" (Battery) switch for safety purposes. Otherwise, you need to disconnect the leads from the batteries.

It's also not advisable to overload the battery terminal connections with uneccessary direct connections. Wiring to a single battery is a single point of failure should that bettery die. Using the isolation switch you can choose which set of batteries is being run on.

While running, you can ensure that you're bilge pumps are on the battery beign supplied by the alternator.

(I know don't get me started on running batteries on BOTH off of a single alternator).
Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
There are two schools of thought on this. The factory wires it through the bus panel because this allows you to isolate the circuit using the "issolation" (Battery) switch for safety purposes. Otherwise, you need to disconnect the leads from the batteries.

It's also not advisable to overload the battery terminal connections with uneccessary direct connections. Wiring to a single battery is a single point of failure should that bettery die. Using the isolation switch you can choose which set of batteries is being run on.

While running, you can ensure that you're bilge pumps are on the battery beign supplied by the alternator.

(I know don't get me started on running batteries on BOTH off of a single alternator).
Either way this line requires a separate fuse than the helm switch.

On my batteries I reserve the stud for the main battery power cable and use the post to connect the battery charger and trim pump. All else is wired to the switch.

Mike
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
Captain

Adding to the 'two schools of thought' comment.
If you store boat in the water, pumps should always be 'live'. Wiring thru the isolator switch means that one battery will still need to be 'On' which may not be desirable...
For trailered boats, switch should allow you to 'disconnect' all power and not have any drain on batteries. I store small boat on trailer/lift without the plugs in, so no need for live pumps... Note: This boat has the 'automatic' pumps which cycle periodically to check for water rather than using a std float switch.

I subscribe to the theory that the only 'wrong way' to wire/setup dewatering is for it to fail in a predictable scenario...

jparsons121 is offline   Reply With Quote